From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Russell, William W.
William Warner Russell (1895-1977), professor of chemistry, was born in Franklin, Massachusetts, on November 25, 1895. He graduated from Brown in 1918 and received a master of science degree from the University in 1920, after which he earned a second master’s in 1923 and a Ph.D. in 1926 from Princeton. He came to Brown as an assistant professor in 1924, was promoted to associate professor in 1936, and named Newport Rogers Professor of Chemistry in 1950. During World War II, he conducted a research project for the Office of Scientific Research and Development, and worked on projects for Engineering Science and Management Defense Training Program. He retired in 1962. He died on May 15, 1977 in Summit, New Jersey.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.