From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Sir Brown, subtitled “A Magazine for Brown Men,” made its first appearance with a trial number which came out in May of 1936. The enthusiasm with which it was received called for the printing of a second edition and thereafter five numbers per year were scheduled. With the third issue, a Pembroke editor was added, and in the fourth issue, now subtitled “A Magazine for Brown,” there was an article by a Pembroke student, Louise Maurer ’38. In the next year’s Liber Brunensis editor Antone G. Singsen ’38 wrote of the success of the publication, “Combining the best features of the college comic and the college literary, and incorporating some of the elements of a commercial publication, the magazine may develop into a type entirely distinctive in its field, and may set the standards for future college magazines the country over.” In the issue of February 1938 the editors, marking the end of the second year of publication and ready to turn the magazine over to a new board, took stock of their achievements: “We have given you a different type of magazine than any you have previously been offered. We have tried to mix humor with severity, drama with the farce, sarcasm with generous applause.” Among the contributors to Sir Brown were Alexander Keema ’38, E. Howard Hunt ’40, Charles E. Mercer ’39, Irving R. Levine ’44, and Anne Byam ’41. There were cartoons by Alan Fontaine ’38 and David Ebbitt ’41, as well as many off-beat cartoons by art editor George Lincoln Rockwell ’42, later leader of the American Nazi Party, who also contributed a story, “Revolting Episode Of What Two Fiendish Ghouls With Dripping Fangs Did On Arbor Day And Also What Happened In the Garage Hi-Yo Silver.” Publication of the magazine came to an end in March 1942.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.