From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Walter Hall at 80 Waterman Street, formerly the Delta Upsilon house, was in 1959 taken over by the Biology Department as an annex to Arnold Laboratory, to be used for graduate research in genetics, radiation biology, and allied fields. At this time the building was renovated with the aid of a $26,384 grant from the National Institute of Health and named for Professor Herbert E. Walter. In the intervening years since the University had acquired the building, it had served as headquarters for the American Mathematical Society and as a temporary home for the Psychology Department while Hunter Laboratory was being built. The house was originally the John F. Chapin house, built in 1857.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.