From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Wilson, George G.
George Grafton Wilson (1863-1951), professor of social and political science, was born in Plainfield, Connecticut, on March 29, 1863. He graduated from Brown in 1886. In 1887 he was, with Austen K. DeBlois, the first to receive an earned master of arts degree from Brown, and the next year the same two were awarded Brown’s first Ph.D. degrees. He also studied at Heidelberg, Berlin, Paris, and Oxford. He was named associate professor of political and social science in 1891, and professor in 1895. In 1900 he began to teach at the Naval War College in Newport, where he continued as professor of international law for 37 years. He resigned from Brown in 1910 to become professor of international law at Harvard, For several years he had been teaching international law at Harvard, and after his resignation he continued to teach a course in international law at Brown and to be curator of the Wheaton Collection of International Law. He was one of the founders of the American Society of International Law in 1907. He was a member of the board of editors of the Society’s Journal from the beginning, and from 1924 to 1943 was editor-in-chief. He was named a director of the Revue de Droit International in 1913, and became a member of the Institute de Droit International. He retired from Harvard in 1936, but remained on the faculty of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, which had been opened in 1933 under the administration of Tufts College with the cooperation of Harvard, until 1941. Wilson House on the Tufts campus was named for him. He died in Cambridge on April 30, 1951.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.