Providence, Rhode Island

March 13, 2010

Brown was handily defeated by Southern Connecticut University 25-10 on a day better suited for hypothermia than rugby. However horrendous the weather, and it was with driving rain and temperatures in the low 40’s, Brown’s opponent had to play in the same weather and drove two hours to compete. As with previous “field turf” matches this spring, no posts were up for penalty kicks or conversions.

Brown’s new 50th Anniversary jerseys, which were worn for the first time in this match, did little to overcome the lethargy and complacency of the Brown squad. Good teams rise above weather conditions, injuries and mistakes. However, in this match Brown did not, demonstrating a lack of basic skills, tactics, leadership and aggression from senior veterans to freshmen starters. Most startling was the lack of passion and teamwork which was the hallmark of Brown’s inaugural Ivy League season last fall.

With a number of players missing, this was a game for the emerging players, who will be relied on next fall, to step up their games and make statements with their play and leadership. Instead Brown seemed satisfied to play Southern on Southern’s terms, allowing 3 unanswered tries in the 4th, 9th and 25th minutes of a 30 minute half. During this stretch, the writer cannot recall a Brown impact tackle or poach, as Southern moved methodically down the field. On offense, support at the breakdown was sluggish and soft, passes slow and inaccurate, and the backline was never in the match.

Brown’s fitness was not in question in the second half due to a solid month of practices, but two Brown tactical errors allowed the Southern #8 to score easily from a five meter scrum, and an intercepted Brown pass allowed a second try for a 25 -0 Southern lead.

Brown did come back in the last 15 minutes of the match with flanker Hao Li’10 taking a quick penalty for one score, and lock Mike Wharton’12 driving off a ruck for a second try to end the match.

The match was refereed by David Gonzales.

First XV Squad

1. Mohammed Abdallah’11
2. Dan Levine’12
3. Bob Forrester’10
4. Rall Walsh’10
5. Mike Wharton’12
6. David Dean’11 replaced by Gabe Heiderich’10 in the second half
7. Hao Li’10
8. Zach Long’13
9. Dave Riley’10 replaced by Taylor Peak’12 in the second half.
10. Zehid Jethani’13 replaced by Brad Arlington’10 in the second half
11. Dow Travers’11
12. Brad Arlington replaced by John Goddard’13
13. James McGinn’12
14. Sam Rabb’10 replaced by Han Lee’12 in the second half
15. Rob Powell’11

Seconds Shut Out Southern

Brown’s Second XV showed a bit of grit and determination as they defeated their Southern Connecticut counterparts 10-0.

The first half was a 0-0 standoff for the first half but Brown opened up in the second half when fly half Blair Cameron’12 saw an opening in the backline and sprinted for the matches first points and a 5-0 Brown advantage. The seconds never were at risk in this match, and as the second half wound down, the ball was passed to center Han Lee’12 who dove over the line for the matches final try.

The Seconds, with a little help from some veterans, were able to win with a predominantly freshman and sophomore team.

The match was refereed by Brown coach Danny Saccoccio.

Second XV Squad

1. Mohammed Abdallah’12 replaced by Bob Forrester’10 in the second half
2. Brian Kelly’12
3. John Hermansen’10
4. Ian Fields’12
5. Martin Bell’11.5
6. Cory Freeland’13
7. David Dean’11
8. Zach Long’13
9. Taylor Peak’12
10. Blair Cameron’12
11. Nick Donais’12
12. John Goddard’13
13. Han Lee’12
14. Ari Nakos’12
15. Ian Clancy’12

Brown next meets Bentley College at Brown on Saturday, March 20. Kickoff will occur at 11 A.M. with two matches scheduled. The matches will be played on the field turf behind the Olney Margolies Athletic Center located at the intersection of Hope Street and Lloyd Avenue on the Brown Campus. We hope to see you this weekend.