Bermuda National Stadium

Hamilton, Bermuda

March 31, 2010

The Bermudians were not at all certain of their 19-7 victory until the match was indeed over, as Brown played its best overall match of the tour, but squandered at least three scoring opportunities that may have sealed a Brown win. The match was played on a picture perfect Bermuda evening, the best weather of the tour.

Brown surprised the National team with a well executed backline play that sent wing Sam Rabb'10 for an 80 meter scoring run, which Sam converted for a 7-0 Brown lead, only two minutes into the game. The match see-sawed but at the 20 minute mark, Bermuda scored to even the score.

Brown was able to disrupt the Bermuda scrums and steal a good number of lineout possessions which provided two or three scoring opportunities in the remainder of the first half, but a slight forward pass and some questionable Brown decision making thwarted these opportunities. It was clear at halftime that Brown was the equal of the National Side, provided fatigue or mistakes were avoided.

At 52 minutes of the match, however, the Brown backline missed a tackle and the Bermuda backs scored and converted to go up 14-7. The Bears kept the play in the Bermuda end of the field, but to Bermuda's credit, their size and experience stood up to the pressure. With only minutes on the clock, Brown had a penalty deep in Bermuda territory. However, Brown's decision to run and subsequent execution failed to produce the match tying try.

At full time, Bermuda scored a final unconverted try to end the match. Bermuda, which is now in training for a match against the Cayman Island National Team on May 1, thanked Brown for providing such good competition to kick off their preparation. Brown was disappointed in losing three matches but each match was competitive and useful in individual and team development. Greg Karwaski'11 was declared Brown's man of the match by the Bermuda team.

The match referee was Ben Jewett who has refereed Brown matches on previous tours.

First XV Squad

1. Bob Forrester'10, replaced in the second half by Ryan Drebin'12

2. Dan Levine-Spound'12, replaced in the second half by Jay Smith'10

3. Andrew Alvarez'11, replaced in the second half by Mohammed Abdalah'11

4. Rall Walsh'10, replaced in the second half by John Hermansen'10

5. Ben Mossbarger'10

6. Zach Long'13

7. Hao Li'10

8. Greg Karwaski'11

9. Dave Riley'10

10. Zahid Jethani'13

11. Sam Rabb'10

12. Dow Travers'11, replaced in the second half by James McGinn

13. James McGinn'12, replaced in the second half by Taylor Peak'12

14. Ian Clancy'12

15. R.L. Powell'11

Brown Rugby returns to the campus on Saturday, April 3 and travels to Yale for a match on Saturday, April 10. We hope to see many of you in New Haven.