Brown v. University of Rhode Island

Brown University
Providence, RI
April 7th, 2012

Brown 30 - New London 20

Scoring   Brown New London
11th min try - Brown (Levine-Spound) 5 0
14th min try - URI 5 5
31st min try - Brown (Long) 10 5
39th min try - Brown (Travers) 15 5
41st min converted try - URI 15 12
50th min penalty kick - Brown (McGinn) 18 12
54th min penalty kick - URI 18 15
55th min try - URI 18 20
67th min try - Brown (Turley) 23 20
  conversion (McGinn) 25 20
79th min try - Brown (Friedman) 30 20
Final   30 20


Brown defeated URI 30-20 but had to come back in the second half to beat their intra-state rival. Brown controlled possession in the game but was just not as sharp as they had been in Ireland. Brown gave up two long runs from URI backs in the first half to allow the match to be closer than expected. URI’s backline was quick and dangerous but too many dropped passes caused URI to lose possession in key situations. At the end of the match, Brown’s fitness seemed to be the difference as Brown scored twice in the last 13 minutes and held URI scoreless in the final 25 minutes of the second half.

In fairness to the Bears, the players were tired from the Ireland tour and several players were ill during the week. Senior center Taylor Peak and senior flanker/center Brent Zajaczkowski missed the match as did captain Zahid Jethani who is still nursing a shoulder injury sustained in Ireland. Sophomores Manny Koelliker and Colin Schofield filled in on the first XV against URI and played solid games.

Brown has been lucky with the weather. The match was played on a clear breezy day. The URI Rugby program has Warren Boothman’72, former Brown Rugby captain, as its coach, assisted by former Brown forwards coach Skip Barry.


In the first half, Brown dominated the forwards, however, Brown found little space in the backs. Two of Brown’s first half tries by number 8 Zach Long’13 and hooker Danny Levine-Spound’12 were the result of lineout drives but the third employed both forwards and backs with lock Landon Turley’12 making a nice break from a series of forward possessions and passing to center Dow Travers’12 for the score for a 15-12 Brown halftime lead.

For the first 25 minutes of the second half, URI took the match to Brown, outscoring the Bears 8-3 for a 20-18 advantage. Brown’s slow or lost ruck possessions by the forwards and missed and dropped passes in the backs combined with poor tackling to put Brown behind.

At this point, the memories of their ‘come from behind’ victories in Ireland and the team leadership kicked in and Brown scored twice with both backs ( center Dan Tondery’s’14 and Travers) and forwards (Turley, Levine-Spound and flanker Eddie Friedman’14) contributing to the scores.

Referee: Peter Lloyd-Evans

First XV Squad

1.        Micah Baclig’14
2.         Daniel Levine-Spound ’12
3.         Everett Epstein’13
4.         Michael Wharton ‘12
5.         Landon Turley ’12
6.         Chris Latham ’14
7.         Eddie Friedman’14
8.         Zach Long’13
9.         Matt Leonard ‘14
10.       Ryan Jones’14
11.       James McGinn’12
12.       Manny Koelliker’14, replaced in the second half by Scott Fielding’15, and by Travers
13.       Dow Travers’12, replaced in the second half by Dan Tonderys’14
14.       Daniel Tonderys’14, replaced in the second half by Scott Fielding’15                     
15.       Colin Schofield’15