Providence, Rhode Island
August 28, 2010

After only five days of pre-season, Brown Rugby held a scrimmage with the Providence Rugby Club on the Saturday. After three mid-week days of rain, the sunny warm day was the perfect season kickoff. Brown and Providence played three periods of rugby, an initial 30 minutes, followed by two 20 minute sessions.

Brown held its own with Providence and demonstrated scoring punch as it scored 33 points in the three periods, but conceded 34 points to Providence on two late tries in the third period. The Brown forwards generally played well and the backs ran good lines. Fine tuning is needed throughout and we are thin in numbers so early season recruitment is very important as we prepare for the fall season. However, enthusiasm and leadership is strong so we all anticipate a successful fall campaign.

This scrimmage will not be recorded as an official match as both the format and substitutions were designed to provide an initial opportunity to work on match situations, skills and giving all able bodies some work. A two hour morning session with national coach Bill LeClerc was extremely valuable for the development of our forward pack.

In the first 30 minutes Brown conceded two quick tries for a 10-0 deficit but then bounced back as lock Mike Wharton’12 scored with captain Sam Rabb’11 converting. Providence scored another unconverted try but the Brown backs put Rabb over for an unconverted try to trail Providence at 30 minutes, 15-12.

As the second period opened, hooker Dan Levine-Spound’12 made a long break, and then passed to co-captain Andrew Alvarez’11 for the try. A Rabb conversion put Brown up 19-15. Midway through the period Sam Rabb broke a long run for a try and converted for a 26-15 Brown lead. Providence closed the period with a try to reduce the Brown lead, 26-20.

Within two minutes of the start of the third period, center James McGinn’12 scored with fly half Zahid Jethani’13 converting, increasing the Brown advantage to 33-20. Providence, however, had their way in the final 15 minutes scoring two converted tries for the final score.

The scrimmage referee was Nate Godfrey.

1. Mohammad Abdalah’11, replaced by Phil Lai’13 at 55 minutes
2. Daniel Levine-Spound’12, replaced by Alvarez at 55 minutes
3. Andrew Alvarez’11, replaced by Mike Donnell’12
4. Michael Wharton’12, replaced by Nathan Bishop’13 at 55 minutes
5. Martin Bell’12, replaced by Ian Fields’13 at 40 minutes, replaced by Josh Schenkkan’13 at 55 minutes.
6. Chaney Harrison’11, replaced by Sam Plotner’14 at 55 minutes
7. Zach Long’13 replaced by David Dean’11 at 40 minutes
8. Greg Karwaski’11
9. Taylor Peak’12
10. Zehid Jethani’13
11. Dow Travers’12, replaced by Adam Engle’13 at 45 minutes.
12. Ryan Jones’14
13. James McGinn’11
14. Jeff Weinreb’12
15. Sam Rabb’11, replaced by Dow Travers at 45 minutes