Princeton, New Jersey
September 25, 2010

Brown overcame a first half malaise to defeat a spirited and determined Princeton side 39-19 at the Princeton ground. Temperatures on the day were close to 90 degrees which sapped energy and caused some sloppy play.

Brown started aggressively in the Princeton end with fullback and co-captain, Sam Rabb'11, putting Brown on the board with a penalty kick in the second minute, but Brown's aggressiveness waned after hooker Dan Levine-Spound'12 went off with a dislocated finger. With Princeton carrying the attack, Brown's fly half Zahid Jethani'13 intercepted a Princeton pass and ran 80 meters, passing to his supporting center, James McGinn'12, for the try. Rabb converted and Brown held a comfortable 10-0 lead.

Brown inexplicably let up, failing to field a Princeton kick which bounced into a supporting player's hands for an easy try. The Bears, still not running on all cylinders were able to create some distance as Jethani kicked a well place grub kick through the Princeton backs which was chased down by Rabb who scored and converted for a 17-5 Brown lead.

The pesky Tigers would not quite, scoring and converting just before the half to close the Bear's lead 19-12. Princeton's aggressiveness and some strong individual efforts as well as Brown's apparent lack of focus and abundance of simple mistakes had made this game either team's match to win.

Brown settled the issue in the second half, but not until 15 minutes of the second half had elapsed. At 44 minutes, flanker Harrison Chaney'11 stole a Princeton lineout which began a series of Brown possessions and attacking options, ending with McGinn scoring his second try and Rabb converting for a 22-12 lead, Princeton came roaring back, assisted by three favorable referee decisions, and marched down the field to score and convert to close Brown's lead to 22-19.

However from this point, it was all Brown with scrum half Taylor Peak'12 taking a quick tap over for a try, converted by Rabb at the 53 minute mark, a Rabb penalty kick at 66 minutes and Brown's Greg Karwaski'11 scoring a try with Brown converting at full time to add 17 points for Brown.

The match referee was Tom Sullivan

First XV Squad
Kevin Durfee'11
Daniel Levine-Spound'12, replaced by Cory Freeland'13 at 4 minutes.
Andrew Alvarez'11
MIchael Wharton'12
Ian Fields'12
Chaney Harrison'11
Zach Long'13
Gregory Karwaski'11
Taylor Peak'12
Zahid Jethani'13
Dow Travers'12
John Goddard'13
James McGinn'12
Jeffrey Weinreb'12, replaced by Daniel Tondreys'14 at 45 minutes
Sam Rabb'11

Brown's Second XV Overwhelms Princeton
Princeton was short in numbers as was Brown due to the two first team injuries to Brown players, thus the match was 13 on 13 with uncontested scrums. Brown dominated the contest with some long runs by Brown backs and won going away 29-0. Free substitution allowed all of the players below to get a lot of playing time.

Center James McGinn'12 was able to pop three first half tries with two converted by fly half Blair Cameron'13 to go up 17-0 for Brown at the half

Brown added two second half tries; one on a blocked kick by Rob Bentlyewski'13 followed by a weaving run from 40 meters out by scrum half Daniel Tondreys'14 that had to cover 80 meters of distance. The conversion was added by Cameron to provide a total of 12 second half points.

Second XV Squad
Mike Donnell'12
Chris Latham'14
Rob Bentlyewski'13
Nate Bishop'13
Sam Plotner'14
Martin Bell'11.5
David Dean'11
Daniel Tondreys'14
Blair Cameron'13
Peter Kentros'14
Brent Zajaczkowski'12
Aaron Isenstadt'13
Henry Bruce'12
James Mcginn'12 replaced at the half by John Goddard'13