New Haven, Connecticut
October 23, 2010

In a must win match, Brown played a terrific first 20 minutes and a dominant last 20 minutes in defeating Yale 26-14 to qualify for the Ivy League playoffs. The Ivy League’s top team, Dartmouth, has been selected to play in a spring “super league” which will include the country’s best teams. This new competition leaves the Ivy League with one playoff spot for the National Collegiate Division I Championships. In order the put through the best Ivy team, the League’s Competitions Committee has arranged for the Ivy teams ranked 2-5 (Brown ended 5th) to play off on the weekend of November 6 and 7. The top team will go through to the playoffs next spring. With the close matches Brown played against the other playoff teams (Harvard, Columbia and Yale) the playoffs should be an exciting season finale. Details will be forthcoming.

Brown dominated Yale in the first twenty minutes. A 40 meter break by left wing Dow Travers’12 put Brown close to the Yale line, where scrum half Matt Leonard’14 went for the corner. A Yale penalty resulted in a penalty try for Leonard which was converted by center Manny Koelliker’14 for a 7-0 lead.

At the subsequent kick-off which Brown secured and rucked, the ball popped out and number 8 Greg Karwaski’11 broke with the ball and ran 60 meters for a second Brown try also converted by Koelliker. At 19 minutes, Brown again was deep in Yale territory and drove a lineout ball to the line where Karwaski scored again.

Yale showed tremendous determination and neutralized Brown for the rest of the half with their center scoring from a penalty to bring the halftime score to 19-7. Brown ended the half at the Yale goal line but the Yale defense prevented any further damage.

Yale’s dangerous backline and Brown’s tactical kicking miscues and high penalty count kept the game tight and another Yale try at 55 minutes brought the score to 19-14. Momentum seemed to slipping from Brown, especially after Yale, again, kept Brown from a score for several minutes with Brown camped on the Yale line.

But Brown’s forwards began to wear down the Yale pack and Yale handling mistakes neutralized the Yale backline. Brown worked their way onto Yale territory and at the 77 minute mark was not denied as Brown’s Karwaski scored his “hat trick” off a ruck from a yard out. Koelliker’s conversion put the game out of reach.

The match referee was Mark Colebrook.

First XV Squad
Everett Epstein'13
Daniel Levine-Spound'12
Andrew Alvarez'11
Mike Wood’12
Mike Wharton’12
Chaney Harrison'11
Zach Long’13
Gregory Karwaski'11
Matt Leonard'12
Zahid Jethani'13
Dow Travers'12
Taylor Peak'12
Manny Koelliker'14
James McGinn'12
Blair Cameron’13

Bears Second XV Feasts on Bulldogs

Brown beat Yale 17-3. Peter Kentros’14 made a nice run in the first half to give Brown a 5-0 halftime lead. The second half saw center John Goddard’13 break through the Yale backline for a try and then prop Mike Donnell’12 made a weaving 30 meter run for Brown’s final try. Fly half Blair Cameron’13 converted for the last of Brown’s 17 points. Yale’s points came from a penalty kick in the second half.

Second XV Squad
Kevin Durfee’11
Rob Bentlyewski'13
Mohammed Abdalah’11, replaced in second half by Mike Donnell’12
Mike Donnell’12, replaced in second half by Nate Bishop’13
Nate Bishop’13, replaced in first half by Ian Fields’12
Josh Moses’13
Chris Latham’14, replaced in the first half by Phil McCoy’11
David Dean’11
Dan Tondreys’14
Blair Cameron’13
Noah Elbot’14
Henry Bruce'12
John Goddard'13
Peter Kentros’14
Taylor Peak’12, replaced at halftime by Manny Koelliker’14