Brown v. Princeton               
Ivy Conference USA D1AA Playoffs

Brown Rugby Field   
Providence, Rhode Island

April 4, 2015: 1:00 P.M.


After a week of rain, Brown hosted the Ivy Conference Playoffs for a spot in the National Collegiate playoffs. The field was muddy and slow and conditions were further exacerbated by strong 25+ mph winds. Brown took the wind in the first half and then confounded observers by not keeping the ball deep in the Princeton end with tactical kicks, preferring instead to keep the ball primarily  in the hands of the forwards. Although Brown had a majority of the first half possession the game was mostly played in the mid-field instead of the Princeton end. Princeton defended well and at 34 minutes a costly Brown handling error lead directly to a breakaway Princeton try.

Not wanting to face the wind without a score, the Bears put tremendous pressure on the Tigers. Brown did not give up possession through injury time with repeated rucks and finally scored at 46 minutes to end the half tied at 5.

Princeton now had the wind in the second half and again observers expected tactical kicking to pin the Bears in their end. However, Princeton kept ball in hand and Brown defended furiously to stymie the Tigers. Midway through the second half, Brown was awarded a penalty 22 meters from the posts in the middle of the field. Fly half Dan Tonderys calmly made the kick in spite of a facing wind. The kick might have been tougher had Dan known it would be the margin of victory.

To Brown’s credit, they controlled play more than Princeton and defended aggressively. Replacements Kim, Richardson and Guzman came into the match, adding fresh legs and all contributed strong performances. In the end Brown was victorious, waiting for the result of the Yale versus Cornell match to see who the Bears would play on Sunday.

Cornell took the wind in the first half of its match but fell into the pattern of not using the wind effectively. At the end of 40 minutes, the match was tied at 5. However, Yale finally solved the equation, kicking effectively,  keeping the play in the Cornell end of the field, and wearing down the Big Red. Yale scored 29 unanswered second half points for a solid 34-5 victory and a match with Brown on Sunday.

The match referee was Peter Lloyd Evans

Brown Squad

.1.        Jared Kay’14M
2.         John Landers’17
3.         Reed Blair’15, replaced at 47 minutes by Henry Richardson’17
4.         Jake Rosenfeld’16, replaced at 47 minutes by Erick Guzman’16
5.         Alex Coben’18
6.         Eric Nguyen’16
7.         Calum McClelland’16
8.         Matt Donahue’GS.
9.         Joe Paolino’17, replaced in the 67th minute by Thomas Kim’18
10.       Dan Tonderys’14GS
11.       Kwame McCain’15
12.       Phil Smith’15
13.       Nate Giacalone’16
14.       Placid Unegbu’17                               
15.       Pete McHugh’17


JF8204-Brown v. Yale 4-5-15