Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology & the Ancient World
Box 1837 / 60 George Street
Providence, RI 02912
Telephone: (401) 863-3188
Fax: (401) 863-9423
This term refers to the .5 km causeway (Haas, 2001) that linked the mainland of Alexandria to the island of Pharos (this was also the name for the lighthouse on the island, see Pharos). Thus, the causeway cleaved Alexandria's oceanfront into "two distinct harbors, which were more easily protected from the force of the strong coastal current: the Eastern or Great Harbor and the Western Harbor" (Haas, 1997).
Posted at Nov 30/2010 03:18PM:
ian: consider how it developed over time as well. It became with its silting up during the centuries a new piece of land -- in fact one on which the city of Alexandria would become confined by the early modern period.