Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology & the Ancient World
Box 1837 / 60 George Street
Providence, RI 02912
Telephone: (401) 863-3188
Fax: (401) 863-9423
refers to the ruined buildings common in Old Cairo that could be used as storage space, as placeholders, or, in some cases, for habitation. They are often mentioned in the Geniza documents in rental agreements or deeds of sale as included in the same property as a house, often (as was common) with many owners each holding a fraction of the whole house/land/ruin lot.
Posted at Nov 30/2010 03:57PM:
ian: Such properties were not restricted to more impoverished neighborhoods but could be found throughout the city suggesting that this was a part of the organic fabric of how the medieval city worked. Think about how this might affect archaeological interpretation.