Upcoming Events at Brown University
Career Panel Exploratoin: Science Communication
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017
Time: 4:00 - 5:30 PM
Location: Portrait Lounge at the Faculty Club, 1 Magee Street
Stephanie Moore, Director of Human Resources at RA Capital, a guest at The Science Communication - Career Exploration Panel hosted by The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and Graduate School last week is recruiting for the following job opening at RA Capital. Please contact Stephanie Moore directly with inquiries. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Healthcare Associate - RA Capital - Boston, MA
The TechAtlas Healthcare team within RA Capital focuses on critically evaluating the technical landscapes surrounding select disease indications. Associates research high interest therapeutic areas and identify all the relevant technologies (e.g. drugs, devices, diagnostics, and procedures) on the market or in development. Ultimately, associates are expected to truly understand the competitive landscape, produce a vision of how the market will likely unfold, determine how companies are positioned to perform, and convey relevance of data to the investment team. For more information, please view the job posting.
Whether your career aspirations lie among tenure-track faculty, industry research, policy, consulting, higher education administration, STEM teaching, non-profit foundations, science journalism or elsewhere, you will almost certainly need to discuss science with expert and non-expert colleagues, journalists, politicians, decision-makers, and members of the public.
On Thursday, 08 June, 4-6:30pm, come to the Portrait Room at the Faculty Club to hear from a panel of invited STEM PhDs who have pursued diverse careers that involve extensive scientific communication. Refreshments will be provided, and we have included time after the panel discussion for attendees to informally speak and network with our guests.
ALL Graduate students and Postdocs should take advantage of this unique opportunity!
- Ari Daniel, PhD in Biological Oceanography, MIT
- Chloe Poston, PhD in Chemistry, Brown
- Bethany Halford, PhD in Organic and Medicinal Chemistry, Johns Hopkins
- Korie Handwerger, PhD in Biology, Johns Hopkins
Our guests have diverse experiences; together, they have experience with:
- AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowship
- AAAS Mass Media Fellowship
- The role of science communication at an investment firm
- Editing an open access-journal (Cell Reports)
- Working with professional societies (American Chemical Society, Genetics Society of America)
- Working at the National Science Foundation
- Completing a postdoc in an industry lab
- Performing research in West Africa while working as an Assistant Professor
- Producing shows at the Charles Hayden Planetarium at the Museum of Science in Boston
- Serving as a Digital Producer for PBS NOVA
Who won the "Most Contagious Smile" award in 5th grade? Who talked with the artist who grew an "ear" from the DNA of one of van Gogh's descendants?? Attend to find out!! Sign up here to let us know if you are attending and submit questions to the panel!
Note: If there is inclement weather and the University is closed, any event listed will be cancelled, and possibly rescheduled at a later date. Call the Brown Snow Line at 863-3111 for further information, or listen to local school closings.