In response to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) notice NOT-OD-13-093 regarding the use of individual development plans (IDP) for graduate students and postdoctoral trainees, effective July 1, 2014 the Division of Biology & Medicine of Brown University will require:
- All incoming, matriculating students to complete and submit an IDP to both the Graduate Program Directors and the Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies (OGPS) by the end of their first semester;
- All postdoctoral trainees to complete and submit an IDP to both their mentor and the OGPS at the time of their initial appointment, or upon their next re-appointment;
- All graduate students and postdoctoral trainees to submit an updated IDP to the Graduate Program Directors or mentors, respectively, as well as the OGPS, every 4 years, if not sooner.
NOTE: Students and postdoctoral trainees may submit an earlier version of an IDP that they have completed as long as it was initially completed within the last few years and has been reviewed/ discussed with their Graduate Program Directors and/or mentors.
Please click here to view the full IDP Policy. Please do not hesitate to contact Dean Harrington or OGPS staff to discuss the new requirements and plan of implementation in BioMed.
Individual Development Plan Instructions
In order to achieve compliance with the IDP Policy, please follow these 3 steps:
- Download a copy of the IDP Template. It is a Word document in which you can record your responses, save the file, and then add and change things as your projects and career plans evolve.
- When you have entered all the information you wish to include in your IDP, share it with your mentor and/or the Graduate Program Director and spend some time discussing your achievements and goals together.
- The final step is to open the Word document draft of your IDP and copy and paste your replies into the IDP Submission Form; the questions in the Word document line up with the questions in the Form, so you should be able to cut and paste the fields. Click the boxes at the end to certify you have completed the IDP and have shared your plans with your mentor and/or the Graduate Program Director, and then click 'submit' to send your IDP to OGPS.
*Please note that the IDP Submission Form questions are all required, but if something does not apply to you, you may enter "not applicable" or something similar.