Replacing/Reactivating a Brown Card

How to Obtain a New Card

Cardholders may visit the Brown Card Office during regular business hours (8:30am - 5:00pm) to obtain a replacement card. In order to obtain a new card, the cardholder must provide positive proof of identification.

Card Replacement Fee

The replacement fee for a lost card, or a card diliberately damaged or damaged through negligence, is $20.00 per instance. The Brown Card Office accepts cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, AMEX or Bear Bucks funds to pay for a new Brown Card. Students may also apply this fee to their Student Account. 

Brown University is not responsible for lost ID card fees and will not reimburse card holders for such instances. It is the responsibility of the card holder to pay for their own replacement ID card. The Brown Card Office does not provide refunds for cards reported missing and then subsequently found.

Malfunctioning or Worn Out Cards

If a Brown Card is malfunctioning or is worn out, it should be reported to the Brown Card Office during regular business hours. Cardholders with malfunctioning, worn out, or accidentally damaged Brown Cards will receive a replacement card, free of charge. Cardholders may also report the card to Brown Public Safety and receive a temporary dorm access card to utilized until the next business day. 

Reactivate a Found Card

If you find a Brown Card that you recently reported missing, you may bring it back to the Brown Card Office for reactivation, rather than purchase a new card. If not, a replacement card can be obtained at the Brown Card Office. All lost cards require a $20.00 replacement fee.

Stolen cards will be replaced free of charge with a copy of a police report indicating that the card was stolen.