General Information/FAQ

The following general information applies to all payrolls at Brown University. Select the category of question from the list below. Please feel free to contact a member of the Payroll staff regarding a specific issue or concern. For Frequently Asked Questions regarding Tax Withholding and Wage Attachments, please see the policies. 

General Payroll FAQ

(return to top of page)

What services are provided by the University Payroll Office?
The Payroll Office provides services to the Brown University community as well as Federal, State and Local authorities. Some of these services include but are not limited to:

  • Processing and payment of all payrolls at Brown University. This includes the Monthly, Bi-weekly, and Weekly payrolls.
  • Distributes checks and direct deposit advices to employee and student campus boxes.
  • Direct deposit enrollment, change and cancellation.
  • Payroll check stop payment.
  • Lost check replacement.
  • Maintains employee payroll records.
  • Processes all Federal and State mandated employment tax forms.
  • Issues calendar year-end tax documents.
  • Issues duplicate W2 and 1042s forms.

How can I reach the University Payroll Office?
The Payroll Office is located on the fourth floor of South Street Landing (350 Eddy Street.)

A Payroll staff member may be contacted by telephone at 401-863-2361. Also available for contact is the Payroll Office general email address: [email protected].

What payment methods does the University offer for payroll payments?
Brown University currently offers two methods of payment:

  • Checks made payable to the employee
  • Direct Deposit of funds to employee’s financial institution
    • (see also Direct Deposit FAQ)

I did not receive the correct number of hours or the correct amount of salary in my pay, who do I contact?
The Payroll Office staff is dedicated to the mission of paying Brown University employees accurately and in a timely manner. The first step in investigating any problem with your pay is to see your immediate supervisor. Your supervisor will contact the Payroll Office for any additional information.

When and how often will I receive my pay?
How often you receive your pay depends upon the payroll cycle to which you are assigned.; For complete information please see “Payroll cutoffs deadlines”

My paycheck has been lost or stolen, what should I do?
Contact the Payroll Office immediately. The Payroll Office will place a “stop payment” with the bank to make the check non-negotiable (unable to be cashed). Once the Payroll Office has confirmation from the bank that the stop payment has been placed, a replacement check will be created for you (generally within 5-7 days).

Payroll Forms FAQ

(return to top of page)

How do I request a duplicate W2 or 1042S form?
W2 and 1042S forms are mailed to employees on or before January 31st each year. You can access a duplicate of your W2 form in Workday. 

Time Sheets FAQ

(return to top of page)

What are the deadlines for time submission in Workday?
Please refer to the “deadlines and cutoffs” section of the Payroll Office website.

I submitted my time in Workday but there is an error.  How can I correct it?
Contact your Supervisor immediately to discuss the needed correction. The Payroll Adjustment form will need to be completed by your Supervisor. 

Direct Deposit FAQ

(return to top of page)

What is direct deposit?
Direct Deposit is an Automated Clearing House (ACH) transaction that is a safe, proven, and confidential method of receiving a payment. With Direct Deposit, your pay check is electronically transferred by the Brown University Payroll Office  into your checking or savings account (or multiple accounts).

Is Direct Deposit available to all employees?
Direct Deposit is an important employee benefit which is available to all employee types, including students and hourly employees.

Can I divide my pay among different accounts if I use Direct Deposit?
Yes, you can deposit your pay into multiple accounts. This method helps many people save money by automatically depositing a portion of their pay into a savings account. Direct deposit can also be an excellent financial planning tool because it allows people to divide their pay into as a number of different accounts.

Is there a charge for Direct Deposit?
There is no charge to participate in direct deposit. Many banks offer free services for employees with direct deposit. Discuss this with your bank!

How do I sign up for direct deposit?
Sign into Workday and select "Pay"  and then "Payment Elections." Be sure to add accounts prior to changing payment elections. 

Your enrollment in direct deposit will continue to be valid until you make another change in Workday.

How soon after I enroll in direct deposit will it take effect?
Your direct deposit request will be processed as soon as possible. Our system requires at least one pay period for “pre-note” which is a confirmation process with the bank. Therefore, you will receive at least one (1) more check before the direct deposit will actually take place.  New accounts or changes to account numbers will take 2-3 weeks to take effect.

How do I know when my payment has been deposited?
Brown University will continue to issue a pay stub to you with Direct Deposit. It will show how much was deposited to your account and how much was taken out of your pay for taxes, insurance, and other items.

When do I have access to my pay (money)?
Your pay will be available to you in your bank accounts at the opening of business the morning of pay day. Your financial institution can tell you exactly when your money will be available.

How do I stop or change my direct deposit information (including change of bank and/or accounts)?
Make any changes in your Workday "Pay" worklet by selecting "Payment elections." 

It is my pay date and my direct deposit is not in my bank account, what should I do?
As with all questions regarding accuracy of pay, please see your supervisor first. Your supervisor will confirm that you were entitled to pay for that particular pay period. Your supervisor or you should then contact the Payroll Office for further assistance and investigation.

Why is Direct Deposit good for consumers?
Direct Deposit is secure, convenient and fast. A Direct Deposit payment has never been lost, it saves consumers from waiting in lines at the bank, and gives many people access to their money earlier than a traditional check.

If I sign up for Direct Deposit, how can I be sure that no one will have access to my account?
Brown University does not have access to your account. The funds are electronically transferred to the bank accounts.  However, Brown University does have a limited ability to reverse direct deposit payments made in error but does not do this without first notifying the employee.

Student Employee FAQ

(return to top of page)

I am a graduate student receiving a fellowship, how and when do I get paid?
U.S. Residents: Your fellowship will be paid through the payroll system. You will receive your check/direct deposit advice from your department according the payroll schedule posted under deadlines and pay dates on this website. The amount of fellowship paid to you by Brown University will not be included in a W2 form at year end. The total amount paid to you is listed in the year to date column on your pay stub. Use the amount on your final stub when completing your tax filing for the calendar year.

Non U.S. Residents: Your fellowship will be paid through the payroll system. You will receive your check/direct deposit advice from your department according to the payroll schedule posted under deadlines and pay dates on this website. The amount of fellowship paid to you by Brown University will be included in form 1042S at calendar year end. You will receive this form by February 1st and should use this form to complete your tax filing for the calendar year.

I am a Brown student (either graduate or undergraduate) and noticed that no Social Security or Medicare taxes have been withheld from my check. Is this correct?
This is correct as long as you are enrolled at least ½ time during the academic year. However, Social Security and Medicare taxes must be withheld from students who are enrolled less than ½ time and from all student paid during the summer months.