The Brown Medical School Committee shall consist of approximately six members elected by the Corporation, at least four of whom shall be current members of the Corporation. There shall be ex officio members as follows: the President and the Chancellor, a member of the Academic Affairs Committee, and a member of the Budget and Finance Committee. The Chair of the Brown Medical School Committee shall be designated annually by the Corporation and shall also serve on or be invited to sit with the Academic Affairs Committee of the Corporation. The Brown Medical School Committee may include, at the discretion of the Corporation, members who are not current Trustees or Fellows.
The Brown Medical School Committee shall keep itself fully and currently informed concerning the academic and financial affairs of the Brown Medical School and has oversight responsibility for matters pertaining to the Faculty and the programs of teaching and research pursued in the Medical School. It shall advise the President and the Corporation as appropriate on academic and fiscal matters, priorities, policy and strategic directions pertaining to medical education. The Committee may designate such subcommittees as it deems necessary to deal with these issues.
The specific duties of the committee include the following:
- Overseeing and advising the Administration and the Corporation regarding academic, financial and programmatic planning, including annual review of the Dean’s Comprehensive Partnership Plan with each affiliated hospital or health care system;
- Reviewing and recommending, as necessary, to the Corporation or appropriate body proposed affiliations and/or collaborative programs and initiatives with other institutions, including the affiliated hospitals;
- Reviewing and paying particular attention to policies and priorities for Brown Medical School faculty appointments, promotion, retention, and overall staffing levels, including the quality and diversity of appointments and promotions;
- Reviewing and recommending to the Budget and Finance Committee of the Corporation the annual operating and capital budgets of the Brown Medical School;
- Receiving and reviewing regular reports from the Administration containing assessment information on agreed-upon measures of academic quality;
- Receiving and reviewing reports developed by external review committees of academic departments, programs and centers and, as a result, making recommendations to the Academic Affairs Committee and the Board of Fellows on the establishment and review of Brown Medical School departments and degree programs;
- Reviewing and advising on other matters relating to the Brown Medical School, including the University’s relationships and agreements with hospitals and other health care institutions.
Members of the Brown Medical School Committee shall be elected by the Corporation for staggered terms of three years each, beginning July 1 and ending June 30. Committee members may, at the discretion of the Corporation, be reappointed for a second consecutive three-year term. Following the conclusion of six years of consecutive service on a committee, the retiring members shall normally be ineligible for reelection to the Committee for one year. Consistent with the standards of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education the Brown Medical School Committee must be composed of persons who have no personal or pecuniary interest or other conflict of interest in the operation of the Brown Medical School, its associated hospitals, or any related enterprises.
The Brown Medical School Committee shall be staffed by the Provost and the Dean of Medicine and Biological Sciences.