Admitted Students: Arriving on Campus

Upon arriving at Brown for graduate studies, you will want to tend to several academic and financial matters, while settling into the area.  The Graduate School maintains a page that highlights several steps to take for new graduate students and provides links to on- and off-campus offices.  Some of the items most useful for postdocs have been included below.

If you have questions, your program administrator is a good point of contact. For international students, the Office of International Student & Scholar Services (OISSS) is an important resource.

Banking & Payroll
New students typically open a local bank account. For convenience only, we offer a list of banks with offices near the Brown campus.  

Ph.D. students with stipends will need to complete an I-9 form at the Brown Business Center (J. Walter Wilson,second floor), and fill out a state W-4 form at the Payroll Office (Brown Office Building, 2nd Floor, 164 Angell St). The online Workday system can be used to complete the federal W-4 and direct deposit forms.  

Most graduate students live off-campus in the neighborhoods surrounding Brown, but limited near- campus housing is available. The Housing webpage in our Admitted Students Guide offers some helpful links to connect you with on and off campus options.

Automobile Registration
If you are considering becoming a Rhode Island resident, you must register your vehicle within 30 days of moving to the state. Proof of auto insurance is required in Rhode Island. For further information on vehicle registration, visit the Division of Motor Vehicles website.

Driver’s License
If you drive a vehicle and plan to establish residency in Rhode Island, you must obtain a Rhode Island driver’s license within 30 days of your arrival in Providence. For Division of Motor Vehicle locations and information, visit the Division of Motor Vehicles website

To register to vote, U.S. citizens must be at least 16 years of age (18 years of age to vote on Election Day) and a legal resident of Rhode Island. For further information on registering to vote, please visit the State of Rhode Island Board of Elections website.

Office of International Student & Scholar Services (OISSS)
If you are neither a U.S. citizen nor a Permanent Resident of the United States, please pay an early visit to the OISSS, which is located in the J. Walter Wilson Building, Suite 510 at 69 Brown Street. The office is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1-5 p.m. (4 p.m. during the summer).  The office is closed during the lunch hour from 12-1 p.m.

International students may also want to visit the Third World Center, located in Partridge Hall at 68 Brown Street. The Center is a place where students can explore cultural heritages and learn about race and ethnicity in America. In collaboration with other student organizations and department, the Center sponsors over 250 lectures and programs through the year to which all Brown students are invited.