Faculty Research Support
- The Dean of the Faculty's office provides funds for research and travel support through the Faculty Development Fund, which is available to all voting members of the campus-based faculty. Our office will call for Development Fund proposals each spring. Proposals are typically due by April 15th, and the funds may be used for the following academic year. Award notifications are typically made by May 1st and the funds will be available on July 1st.
- The Dean's office works closely with the office of the Vice President for Research to support faculty scholarship.
- The Faculty Research and Travel Fund is available to all voting members of the campus-based faculty to support trips to attend conferences or to do scholarly research.
- Each spring, our office puts out a call for applications for Lectureship Funds, which can be used to bring speakers to Brown for lectures and events in the following academic year.
- Our office also works with emeritus faculty to facilitate research and teaching after retirement.
- The Dean's office manages several restricted submission awards in conjunction with other Brown offices.
- Brown's sabbatical programs allow faculty time away from teaching and service to focus on their research for an uninterupted semester or year.
- The Dean's office helps support the ADVANCE program, aimed at inreasing retention and advancement of women faculty in sciences and engineering.
- While research accounts retain their maximum value when used to support research, they can also be converted into summer salary.