Getting Started at Brown

Steps to complete your I-9/employment paperwork include checking in with the following offices:

  1. Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS)*
    J. Walter Wilson, Suite 520, 69 Brown Street (corner of Brown and Waterman); (401) 863-2427
    *Only international postdocs need to check in here. OISSS will verify that your visa is ok. Please bring passport and visa. Those on J-1 Visas should also bring DS-2019 form; F1 holders should bring I-20.
  2. Human Resources & Benefits Office
    Brown Office Building (BOB), 164 Angell Street, third floor (above bookstore); (401) 863-2141
    You MUST go to Human Resources first.  Then you MUST stop by or contact the Benefits Office to set up an appointment for the benefits orientation to discuss health and retirement benefits. Brown University’s health insurance plans require that you elect coverage within 31 days of your hire date. You will complete an I-9 at the Brown Business Center in J. Walter Wilson on the second floor.
  3. Payroll Office*
    Brown Office Building (BOB), 164 Angell Street, second floor (above bookstore); (401) 863-2361
    You MUST stop at the Payroll Office to fill out a W-4 form, or you will not have the proper taxes taken out of your paycheck. To enroll in direct deposit you will need to bring a voided check.
    *Foreign Postdocs must complete FNIS (pertains to immigration/tax status) prior to going to Payroll to get your home country tax treaties set up.
  4. Brown Card Office*
    J. Walter Wilson, Suite 511, 69 Brown Street (corner of Brown and Waterman); (401) 863-2273
    You MUST get a Brown photo ID card to access buildings.  If your PAF has been entered in HRIS, you will be “in the system” to get your Brown ID.  It can take up to three days to get email access.
    *International Postdocs should bring the OISSS Release Form and Passport to the Brown Card Office.
  5. Social Security Office*
    phone(s): 1-800-772-1213 or (401) 528-4501
    Federal Center, 380 Westminster Street, third floor, (second building in from corner of Empire and Westminster streets), Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    Social Security Administration, 55 Broad Street, Pawtucket, RI, 02860
    Social Security Number application and instructions can be found at

Note:  All postdocs MUST have a social security number or PROOF that an application has been filed in order to be PAID by the Brown University Payroll Office. Documents to bring to Social Security Office include: passport, visa or Green Card, DS-2019 form, and your appointment letter. 

*International Postdocs must wait ten (10) days from date of arrival before going to the Social Security Office/Federal Center because the Social Security Office needs time to verify your immigration entry records.