The following financial aid application instructions are for all international first year applicants, including undocumented students residing in the U.S. 

International applicants must apply for and receive scholarship at the time of admission to be considered for financial aid at any point during their 4 years at Brown University.  More information about policies regarding international students can be found here.

Requirements due by February 1, 2017

*Forms will be available to complete on-line beginning October 1, 2016.

Note:  Applicants from the countries of Iran, North Korea, and Sudan cannot use the CSS/PROFILE.  Please email us at for an alternative solution.   Please be sure to indicate in your email if your parents are divorced, separated, or never married.

Please note: we do not offer payment fee waivers for the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE to prospective applicants.  In addition, our office does not accept the ISFAA form or a paper copy of the CSS Profile in lieu of the electronic CSS Profile. Because we use the CSS PROFILE to consider international applicants for any financial aid resources at Brown University, it is important that you complete this form if you wish to be considered for any aid.

 Parents' and Student Income Tax Return

The following information should be submitted directly to the Office of Financial Aid. Please use Brown’s document upload feature in Self Service Banner (available after January 1, 2017).

*We do not accept  IDOC packets from International Applicants.

**Please ensure the tax return is translated into English.

  • 2015 income tax return for custodial parent(s) (or non-tax filer statement
  • 2015 income tax return for student (if filed
  • 2015 income tax return for noncustodial parent, if applicable (or non-tax filer statement)

If a tax return is not filed in your country, submit a statement from parents’ employers documenting 2015 annual earnings.