International Applicants - (parents work in the U.S.)

Applying for Financial Aid is a two step process:

Step 1 - Requirements due by February 2, 2015

 CSS PROFILE Application

Complete the 2015-2016 PROFILE online at - indicate Brown University as one of the recipients by using our CSS Code of 3189. (If your parents are separated or divorced, use information from your custodial parent.) Print a copy for your own reference.

Noncustodial Parent's PROFILE

If your parents are divorced, separated or never married, your noncustodial parent will need to complete a Noncustodial Parent's PROFILE online. You will receive instructions by email from the College Board to send to your noncustodial parent, explaining how s/he may complete this process after you have completed your custodial CSS PROFILE. For additional information regarding the non-custodial parent application requirement, please review the frequently asked question area of our website.


Applicants from the countries of Benin, Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, and Togo, Cuba, Iran, and (as of June 6, 2012), Myanmar (Burma), North Korea, Sudan, and Syria cannot use the CSS PROFILE. Please email us at for an alternative solution.  

Step 2 - Requirements due by March 10, 2015

Parents' Federal Income Tax Return

Once you have filed your CSS PROFILE form, if required by Brown University you may receive communication beginning in February from the College Board's Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC) providing you with instructions on how to submit your 2014 federal tax forms and any other supplemental forms that may be required. You should send signed photocopies of all pages and schedules of your parents' 2014 federal tax returns (including photocopies of all W-2 forms) to the College Board by March 10. Our office may already have enough information to provide an estimated award therefore an IDOC packet may not be requested from every family.

Student's Tax Return

If you file a 2014 federal income tax return, please follow the same instructions as for the parents' federal tax return above.

Noncustodial Federal Income Tax Return

Your noncustodial parent should submit all pages and schedules of his or her 2013 federal tax return (including photocopies of W-2 forms) to the College Board's Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC) by March 10, following the instructions provided by the College Board.

Additional Information

Feel free to send a letter of explanation if your family has special circumstances or unusual expenses, or if you feel there are any other details which will help us to understand your financial situation.