The Office of Financial Aid has counseling staff available to assist any potential or currently enrolled Graduate Student with their educational financing decisions. For your convenience, most of this can be done over the phone (401-863-2721) or through our email ( Our office is also open for walk in service Monday –Friday 10: 00 a.m. to 4: 00 p.m. (Summer hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4 p.m.) EST daily except Wednesday mornings. No appointment is necessary but you may wish to call to confirm that a counselor is available on the day you visit.

You may also find helpful:

Billing/Student Accounts/ Refunds

If you have questions pertaining to billing, your student account, or how to get a refund from any credit balance that exists on your account, please contact the Bursar.

Federal Loans, Federal Promissory Notes, Entrance/Exit Counseling

If you have questions pertaining to Federal Loans, Federal Promissory Notes, or Entrance/Exit Counseling please contact the Loan Office.

Brown Funding

If you have questions pertaining to your Brown scholarship, stipend, or any Brown funding, please contact your Director of Graduate Study (DGS) in your Department/Program, or the Graduate School at or 401-863-2600.

Stipend Payments/Payroll

If you have questions about your stipend check please contact the Brown University Payroll Office at (401) 863-2361 or

 Emergency Loans

Emergency loans up to a maximum of $500 are available to graduate students who have an urgent need. Repayment must occur within 60 days or by the semester's end, whichever occurs sooner. NO loans are available in the Summer. For more information contact the Loan Office at 401-863-3296 or