Apply for Aid: Current Students

Applying for Brown University Funding

All funding through Brown University Graduate School and Executive Masters Programs is controlled and administered by your Department or Program. Please consult with your Director of Graduate Study or Program Manager for funding questions or issues regarding a particular semester.

Applying for Federal Student Loans

All graduate students who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents can apply for federal funding, most commonly in the form of Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Federal Graduate PLUS loans. To apply, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is completed online each academic year you will be enrolled at Brown University. Be sure to review the following items to ensure that the Office of Financial Aid receives your FAFSA for federal aid consideration:

  • Review the recommended loan filing dates based on the initial billing date of your program.
  • Complete the FAFSA that matches your academic aid year enrollment (i.e. 2017-18 FAFSA if the program starts in September 2017 and ends May 2018)
  • List Brown University’s graduate Federal school code of E00058. Do not include the undergraduate school code of 003401.
  • If your FAFSA is selected for verification, additional information will be requested via email by the Office of Financial Aid before loan eligibility can be processed.

Applying for Private Educational Loans

All graduate students who are U.S. Domestic or International Students can apply for private educational loans. While U.S. citizenship is not a requirement, the majority of private educational loan lenders require that the borrower designate a co-signer who is U.S. Citizen/Permanent Resident with favorable credit history. Students must complete any private loan application through the lender and not through Brown. Students have the right to pursue and borrow from any private lender of their choosing. However, Brown does provide a historical list of private loan lenders. Eligible students are encouraged to exhaust need based Federal Loans before applying for credit based loans. When applying for a private educational loan, be sure to select Brown University Graduate Financial Aid on the lender’s website, and not simply Brown University as your school choice.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I access my financial information?

Students can review their financial information online in two places. is where students can view bills, make payments, and manage their student account. is where students can view their financial aid information, accept loan funding, and review other student records.

When should I see my Brown financial aid on my account?

Any program funding will be posted onto your account by your department. While there is not a specific date of when your department must post this funding, it should be prior to each billing statement. If you have received a billing statement and have questions on your financial aid funds, please contact your department directly.

How can I determine if my Brown Financial Aid will cover my costs?

Students who wish to determine their overall cost after any aid can visit our How to Finance Your Brown Education page for a financing worksheet. Students can also request an interactive financing worksheet by emailing our office directly at [email protected].

When will I hear about my eligibility for loans?

If you have already been admitted to Brown University and chosen to enroll, any initial federal loan eligibility will be automatically posted to your account once a FAFSA has been submitted. Students are notified via their Brown email account that their federal loan is ready to be reviewed. All graduate students who have matriculated and completed a FAFSA would receive notification in late April. Any students who enroll or complete the FAFSA after that time should expect notification within 3 to 5 business days.

I submitted my FAFSA and have enrolled in my program, but I still haven’t been notified of any Federal loan eligibility. Why?

There may be a few reasons why you have not received a notification from our office regarding your Federal loan eligibility. We would suggest first ensuring that you completed the correct FAFSA and used only Brown’s Graduate School code of E00058 (not the Undergraduate 003401) when you submitted the application. If you did not include your social security number in your admission application, then we were not able to link your FAFSA to your student record. Lastly, you may have issues with your FAFSA or previous loan history that will restrict our office from offering Federal loans. Be sure to check for any outstanding Financial Aid Requirements or email our office at [email protected] for assistance. 

If I change the number of courses I’m enrolled in, will that affect my initial financial aid eligibility?

Changing the number of courses you are enrolled in may affect your total financial aid package or your student account balance. It is important to reach out to your department with any questions on how adjusting your enrollment can affect any Brown funding. Students must be enrolled at least “half-time” during a semester to be considered eligible for Federal loan funding. If you are planning on changing your enrollment and have concerns regarding your loan eligibility, we strongly suggest contacting our office.

Can I set up an appointment to discuss financing options?

The Office of Financial Aid offers a counselor walk-in service Monday through Friday that does not require an appointment. You may call or stop by our office during the hours listed on our Counselor Calendar and may find out contact information here.