NOTE: Those studying away domestically in the summer are not eligible to receive the Summer Grant which is awarded by the School of Professional Studies. See below for requirements if you are interested in federal aid (primarily federal loans) that may also be available to eligible students.
The following requirements must be satisfied to be considered for any federal aid:
- All financial aid application requirements for both the current year and the upcoming year should be satisfied.
- Complete and submit the Summer Aid Application for Study Away/Abroad found in the Forms section of our website. This will be available in May each year.
- Complete and submit the Consortium Agreement found in the Forms section of our website
- Credits must be fully approved for transfer through Brown's ASK/Advising Sidekick system prior to any federal aid being processed.
- You should process a Refund Request electronically through the Bursar’s Office website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. If applicable, when will I receive my refund?
A. Refunds are processed 7 to 10 days after the start date of your Study Away program. In order for your refund to be processed, all financial aid application materials must be submitted. Since the refunds will not be sent until 7-10 business days after the first day of classes, you should make plans to cover your expenses until your refund has arrived or contact your program and request that the bill due date be deferred until your refund is received. For questions regarding your Brown Student Account and/or the refund process, please contact the Bursar’s Office at [email protected] or (401) 863-2484.
Q. When do I sign Promissory notes for my student loan?
A. A promissory note and entrance counseling for a first-time Federal Direct Loan and/or a 20th Century Loan should be completed with the Brown University Loan Office before leaving for your study away program. The Loan Office will send the student an email notifying them of loan requirements along with instructions on how to complete the requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the requirements are completed and received by the Loan Office before departure. For questions, please contact the Loan Office at [email protected] or at (401) 863-3296.