Retirement benefits vary according to employee group, employment status, percent time, age, and date of hire. Please see your applicable plan below.
Faculty/Staff Retirement Plans
All of these Brown retirement plans will be impacted by the November 1, 2020 adjustment to the University’s contribution:
- 403(b) Brown University Legacy Retirement Plan for Faculty and Exempt Staff which includes faculty and exempt employees with a hire date before March 1, 2001.
- 403(b) Brown University Legacy Retirement Plan for Non-Exempt Staff which includes non-exempt employees hired before March 1, 2001.
- 403(b) Brown University Deferred Vesting Retirement Plan which includes employees hired after March 1, 2001.
Union Employee Retirement Plans
These plans will not be affected by the November 1, 2020 adjustment to University contributions affecting some plans.
- Dining Services: Employee Pension Plan*
- Facilities Management: Employee Pension Plan*
- Library Union: Legacy Retirement Plan
- Public Safety employees with a hire date before July 20, 2001: Legacy Retirement Plan
- Public Safety employees with a hire date after July 20, 2001: Deferred Vesting Retirement Plan
*Participants in the Employee Pension Plan are eligible to make voluntary contributions to a 403(b) retirement account.
Note: The information presented represents a summary of the plan's eligibility requirements and benefits; in the event of a conflict between the information contained on these web pages and the applicable plan document, the plan document will apply.
Retirement Plan Carriers
Eligible employees may choose to direct voluntary and, if applicable, University contributions to one or both of the carriers listed below.
Corona Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act
On March 27th, the President signed the Corona Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act into law. Brown University is enacting some of the special provisions under the Act relating to retirement plan withdrawals and loans. More specific information can be found here.