Nominations have closed for this year.
The Excellence Awards program is a competitive, performance-based awards program built to recognize staff members for exceptional contributions to Brown University in the categories of Citizenship, Environmental Stewardship, Diversity & Inclusion, Efficiency, Innovation, Leadership, Rising Star, and Service. Winners are selected by a committee of staff members from across the University who review nominations and vote on individual and team award recipients. Examples of staff/team accomplishments include: unique endeavors requiring significant effort well beyond the designated scope of an employee’s position; implementation of a new or improved service or program; making a significant impact within or outside the Brown University community, and more.
All things Nomination Related!
- Preview the Nomination Form Questions.
- Review the eight Excellence Award Categories before crafting your nomination.
- Read some Sample Winning Nominations to help you craft yours! Try to strike a balance between providing enough detail about the accomplishment while being concise. Remember, less is more!
- Tips for writing a strong Excellence Award nomination
- About the Excellence Awards process:
- Email [email protected] with any questions about the process or if you experience difficulty submitting the nomination form.
BEAR Day 2022
2021 BEAR Day Ceremony
Did you miss the 2021 virtual ceremony? Or are you hoping to relive the magic?
BEAR Day Ceremony
BEAR Day is an annual celebration that congratulates employees reaching years of service milestones from 5 through 50 years of service as well as employees who have won an Excellence Award. President Christina H.Paxson, Executive Vice President Barbara Chernow and other senior leaders take part in recognizing the incredible contributions of these dedicated employees. The ceremony typically includes a short compilation video showing the Service Award and Excellence Award recipients along with live presentations of certificates and awards. This year's ceremony will be a live-broadcast, virtual ceremony to be held at 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 22, 2022. Save the date!
- Click here to watch the BEAR Day 2020 video.
- Click here to review the BEAR Day 2020 program.
- Click here for a list of the 2019 Excellence Award winners celebrated in February 2020.
Service Awards are presented at BEAR Day to recognize staff members for their dedicated service to Brown and for reaching milestones in their Brown careers between 5 and 50 years. Service Award recipients are employees who have reached a milestone any time between January 1 to December 31. In late November, Service Award recipients are given a link to order gifts online through the Brown Bookstore and have their gift shipped to their home address.
Ordering Years of Service Gifts (This information will be available in October 2021)