Brown will host the next Young Scholars Conference (YSC), Sept. 16-17, 2016. The title of the conference is “Mechanisms of Disease Intervention.” From molecular biology to biomedical engineering, the conference will highlight the work of women dedicated to curing disease.
Mechanisms of Disease Intervention
Schedule: Friday, September 16th
- noon-1pm Lunch/Welcome Remarks: Provost Richard M. Locke
- 1-2pm: Keynote by Nicole Renaud
- 2-4pm: Poster Fair
- 4-4:15pm: Coffee Break
- 4:20-6pm: Chalk Talk Workshop
- 6:30-8pm: Dinner at Brown Faculty Club
7pm: Career Panel during dinner. Panelists include:
- Rebecca Carrier, PhD - Northeastern University
- Shannon Hughes, PhD - Program Director, NCI, NIH
- Julie Morabito, PhD – General Engineer FDA
- Mary Murray, PhD – Principal, Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds – IP Law
- Nicole Renaud, PhD – Computational Biologist, Novartis
Saturday, September 17th
- 9-10am: Keynote Dr. Cynthia Reinhart-King
- 10 am-12:30pm: Mock Interviews
- 12:30-1:45pm: Lunch/Confidence workshop with Barbara Tannenbaum
- 2-3:15pm: Mock Chalk Talks/Job Talks
- 3:30-4:30pm: Conference Closing/Feedback
YSC is an initiative to advance the careers of women graduate students in science and engineering. It explores different career options, while providing attendees with practical experience in interviewing and presentation skills. Attendees have the opportunity to present research and gain valuable feedback on skill-sets critical to navigating the job market.
The conference is presented by Brown's Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion (OIDI) and Graduate Women in Science and Engineering. Funding is provided by OIDI, Office of the President and Office of the Provost.