Worker's Compensation FAQ

What is Workers Compensation?
State required (statutory) insurance that all employers, with 1 or more employees, must provide to their employees in case they are injured while at work, to pay for medical expenses and partially replace lost wages.

How is this different from TDI (Temporary Disability Insurance)?
TDI is short term disability insurance that protects workers against wage loss resulting from a non-work related illness or injury, and is funded exclusively by employees. Workers Compensation insurance is NOT paid for in whole or in part by the employee, rather fully funded by the employer.

Does Brown University have an insurance company for its Workers Compensation insurance?
No, Brown is self-insured. That means Brown puts money aside to pay for its claims and hires a Third Party Administrator (TPA) to handle the claims, issue checks to injured workers and pay medical bills. The Insurance Office is the coordinator between the University, TPA and employee.

How is the determination made between Workers Compensation and TDI and who makes it?
Specific requirements must be met in order for an injury to be considered for Workers Compensation; the injury must "arise out of and in the course of employment". The Insurance Office will conduct a thorough investigation into all incidences that are reported as work related and make the determination as to compensability. Every injury and employee situation is unique, therefore, each case is handled on an individual basis.

Can I collect both Workers Compensation and TDI?
No. The injury will either be determined as work related or non-work related.

Can I use sick and vacation time while collecting Workers Compensation benefits?
Yes. Sick and vacation time are entitlements earned by the employee and may used while simultaneously collecting Workers Compensation benefits.

Is there a waiting period before Workers Compensation begins?
Yes. There is a three day waiting period and benefits would begin on the fourth consecutive lost work day.