The transition to the United States can be both challenging and rewarding for your spouse and dependents. There are several places in the Providence area that offer English language classes, and community groups that may be of interest to dependents. 


Higher Educational Opportunities for Eligible Dependent Spouses and Children

Certain dependent immigration classifications DO NOT allow for full-time study for spouses AND/OR may have age limitations for dependent children pursuing a full-time courses of study. Please discuss with OISSS any plans for dependents (spouse and/or children) to pursue higher education programs.

Bryant University

Community College of Rhode Island

Providence College

Roger Williams University

Salve Regina University

Rhode Island College

University of Massachusetts- Dartmouth

University of Rhode Island


If you have a dependent child between the ages of 6 and 16 with you while you are in the U.S. they are required by Law to attend school.  If you have dependents who will be attending school in the U.S., be sure to bring birth certificates or proof of age and all medical, dental, and academic records for those dependents (if these documents are not in English a certified translation of each document will be required).*

There are three levels of education that children move through (Kindergarten through 12th grade)

  1. Elementary School (grades K to 5, ages 5-10)
  2. Middle school or junior high school (grade 6 to 8, ages 11-13)
  3. High school (grades 9 to 12, ages 14-18)

If you have a dependent child and you are living in the City of Providence.  You may want to enroll your child in Providence Public Schools.  Public Schools are usually free of charge, co-educational, and funded primarily through city and state taxes. 

There are several private schools within the state of RI.  Unlike public schools, private schools require that you pay a fee for your child to attend their school.

If you have a dependent child that has not yet reached school age and you need someone to care for your child while you are teaching, researching or studying at Brown during the day.  You may want to enroll your child in a daycare program.  Almost all daycare facilities in the U.S. require you to pay a fee.  Below are links that will assist you in finding a daycare provider in the state of Rhode Island

There are also child care facilities affiliated with Brown University

*If your child has not received the required immunizations and you wish to register your child for school.  Hasbro Children’s Hospital offers a free Immunization Clinic for Children living in Rhode Island.


If your spouse would like to volunteer his/her time with a local organization in Rhode Island please visit the links below to search for an organization that meets your interest.


Serve Rhode Island


(English as a Second Language- ESL Options)