Employment Options for J-1 Students

Employment in the U.S. is highly regulated by immigration and employment law and regulations, and it can often be confusing for students in J-1 status to navigate the regulatory limitations. It is essential that when a student is considering paid, unpaid employment or volunteer positions that they be familiar with the rules and contact OISSS with any questions. Also, J-1 students MUST ensure that they have the appropriate work authorization prior to pursuing any employment activity, paid or unpaid. 

Listed below are the two options for J-1 employment authorization:

On-Campus Employment

Academic Training (A.T.)