J-1 students in good academic standing may be eligible for employment authorization in the form of Academic Training for a period of up to 18 months or the length their program, whichever is shorter. The training must be directly related to their field of study, and may occur during or after completion of their academic program.
Post-doctoral students may participate in an additional 18 months of post-doctoral research up to a total of 36 months. The total training period is inclusive of any prior academic training in the United States as an exchange visitor, and may not exceed the period of the full course of study in the United States.
During the authorized academic training period, a J-1 student is required by the U.S. Department of State to continue compliant health insurance coverage for his/herself and all J-2 dependents until the end of the student’s J-1 status.
- In valid J-1 status
- Obtained offer for position (paid or unpaid) that is directly related to field of study.
- Has not exceeded maximum amount of allowable Academic Training
- Has unexpired DS-2019
- If applying for post-completion Academic Training, the employment starts no later than 30 days following completion of degree requirements.
Submit the following to OISSS no later than 2 weeks prior to start of employment or, in the case of post-completion Academic Training, no later than 2 weeks prior to end of academic program.
- Completed J-1 Academic Training Request Form (see link below).
- An employer offer letter with begin/end date(s), job duty description and pertinent salary information.
- Request a letter of recommendation from your department chair, academic advisor or graduate advisor that includes the following:
- The goals and objectives of the specific training program, and an evaluation of the effectiveness and appropriateness of the program in achieving the stated goals and objectives;
- A description of the training program, including its location, the name and address of the employer and training supervisor, number of hours per week, and specific dates of the training;
- How the training relates to the student's major field of study;
- Why it is an integral or critical part of the academic program of the J-1 student
- The completion or the expected completion date of the academic program
- Copy of most recent DS-2019
- Copy of J-1 visa
- Copy of I-94 card or I-94 printout with most recent entry
Academic Training Authorization and Student Responsibilities
- Employment can start only after the student has received the new DS-2019 from OISSS with the Academic Training AND the start date on the authorization has been reached.
- Any change in employer MUST be approved by OISSS prior to changing employers.
- Students must continue to update OISSS with any change in U.S. residential address within 10 days of the change.
- Students must continue to maintain compliant health insurance coverage (for his/herself and all J-2 dependents) for the length of the J-1 program, including any pre- and post-completion Academic Training.