Extension of J-1 Status
International students in J-1 status are required to complete their academic program by the expected completion date noted in item 3 on the initial Form DS-2019 for J-1 students (“Form Covers Period"). Students who are not able to complete their current program by the expected completion date because of valid academic or medical reasons, must apply for a program extension with the OISSS no later than 30 days prior to the expiration of their current immigration document.
- Must be in lawful J-1 status
- Must have maintained full-time status each semester of your current program
- Delays in completion of studies must not be caused by academic probation or suspension.
- Must be able to document funding available that is sufficient to cover the cost of tuition and fees, living expenses for student and any dependents and the cost of health insurance for student and any dependents for length of the extension (up to one year).
- Must have maintained appropriate health insurance for self and any J-2 dependents for length of program.
Applying for an Extension
Complete the online extension request form. You will need to upload the following supporting documents:
- A copy of your current passport AND I-94 printout or card
- Explanation of extension reason(s):
- Undergraduate - International Student Extension form signed by a dean from the Dean of the College office.
- Graduate – A letter from academic department (usually Director of Graduate Studies) on letterhead that indicates:
- a specific date (MM/DD/YYYY) by which you are expected to complete all degree requirements.
- whether this extension is due to medical circumstances or valid academic circumstances.
- Evidence of University funding (if applicable)*
- Graduate students: if you are funded by your department, the department administrator should provide a letter stating the terms of your funding; for example, that you have been awarded a research assistantship in the amount of a certain $ amount plus tuition, fees and health insurance coverage per academic year.
- Undergraduate students: provide a copy of your scholarship/financial aid award letter
- Evidence of personal funding (if applicable)*
- If some or all of your funding is from personal, family or other sources, attach original bank letters or bank statements bearing an official stamp or signature of a bank official or sponsor. If the accounts are not in your name, please attach a signed letter from the account holder verifying that these funds will be available to cover the expenses associated with your studies.
Please allow 10 business days for OISSS to process your DS-2019 extension.