Other Immigration Matters

Other Immigration Matters

Lost or Stolen Immigration Documents

Immigration documents are important and should be kept in a safe and secure place during the entire length of your program. Immigration documents should NEVER be discarded or thrown out. However, sometimes immigration documents can be lost or on the rare occasion stolen. OISSS has provided instructions on how to replace lost/stolen immigration documents. 

Tourist Visa Application Information for Relatives

For information on how your family member can apply for a tourist visa please visit the link below

Link below for a listing of required documentation that your family member will need to obtain a tourist visa

The U.S. Department of State has informed us that it is not necessary or even useful to present a letter of invitation from Brown University when your family or friends are applying for a U.S. tourist visa.
If you still wish to have a letter of invitation from Brown University, you can fill in the tourist visa letter request for relatives linked at the bottom of this page.
OISSS will only issue letters of inviations for family members.

Change of Address

All students and scholars are required to update OISSS with any change of U.S. address within 10 days of that change. See below for instructions on how to provide that update to OISSS. F-1 students are required to update OISSS with any change in their address within 10 days as well. If you have any questions about how to change the address, contact OISSS.
F-1 and J-1 students: Update the LOCAL address in your Banner Self Service account
F-1 Students on Post-Completion OPT: Complete the online OPT Address and Employment Update form
J-1 Students on Post-Completion Academic Training, H-1B, TN, O-1, and all others: Submit completed Address Update form 

Early Departure

All students and scholars are required to notify OISSS if they will be ending their program before the anticipated end date. Early departures will require a notification to U.S. immigration. It is important for OISSS to keep a student or scholar's immigration record up to date to prevent any future problems with applying for a U.S. visa and/or entering the U.S. An early departure also affects the date by which the student or scholar must depart the U.S. Notify OISSS of any early departure by submitting a Departure Notification form. F-1 Students on Post-Completion OPT can notify OISSS of an early departure by submitting the OPT Address and Employment Update form online.

Encounters with Law Enforcement

The law enforcement agencies in the U.S. not only exist to enforce federal and local laws, but are here to provide service and protection nationwide and to their local communities or university campus. However, encountering a law enforcement officer can be source of anxiety for some. OISSS has provided a resource about your rights and responsibilities when encountering a law enforcement or immigration agent. This resource has been developed and published by the American Civil Liberties Union.