Arriving in Providence
Within the first week of your arrival you should do the following things:
Academic and Administrative Requirements
- Go to OISSS for check in with your travel documents (passport, visa, print out of I-94 record, and DS-2019/I-20). Graduate Students and Scholars can refer to the checklist at the bottom of this page for additional check-in information.
- Get your Brown ID Card (you will be provided with a release to get your Brown ID Card once you check in with OISSS)
- Check in with other departments on campus that may be expecting to meet with you (i.e. your sponsoring department, Graduate School, BioMed Office of Postdoctoral and Graduate Studies, Human Resources ect.)
Living Arrangements and Getting Settled
- Find a place to live (if you have not done so already)
- Order the necessary utilities for your home if you need to (electricity, water, gas, internet, phone, etc)
- Open a bank account
- Figure out your means of transportation (car, taxi, bus, bicycle, walking)
*IMPORTANT: It is required that all new international students and scholars in either F-1, J-1, H-1B, O-1 or TN status check in with the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS) upon arrival. When checking in with OISSS, please make sure you bring with you all your travel documents (passport, visa, printout of I-94 record or I-94 card, DS-2019/I-20). We will also need to see travel documents for all dependents that are with you in the U.S.