Brown Department Administrators

Information for Department Administrators Regarding J-1 Exchange Visitors 

J-1 Immigration Records and Form DS-2019

The U.S. Department of State authorizes OISSS to issue and maintain the J-1 immigration record for eligible foreign visitors on behalf of Brown University. OISSS is the only office at Brown University that can issue or make any changes to these records. The official document issued from these J-1 records is the Form DS-2019A ll J-1 DS-2019 Requests must be received by the OISSS at least 3 months in advance of the requested start date. 

J-1 Classifications

There are several classifications of the J-1 used at Brown University, which means that processing procedures will vary depending on the appropriate classification.

  • Visitors who are currently enrolled in a graduate degree program at a postsecondary institution outside of the U.S. that will be coming to Brown University for research purposes only and will not enroll in classes will be eligible for an appointment as a Visiting Research Fellow (VRF) through the Graduate School.  
  • Visitors who are international students currently enrolled in and pursuing an undergraduate degree at a postsecondary academic institution outside of the United States who will come to Brown University to conduct research as part of an internship will come a J-1 Student Interns.