Instructions for J-1 Reseachers and Professor Category
All J-1 DS-2019 Requests must be sent to OISSS at least 3 months in advance of the requested start date. Some visa applications may be subject to additional security checks, aka (Administrative Processing).
The Department should complete the DS-2019 Request Form, and submit it to one of the following:
• the Dean of Faculty,
• to the Office of Medical Faculty Affairs (OMFA) for BioMed appointment request, or
• to the Dean of Public Health for all appointments in the School of Public Health.
The request form is also required for extensions and/or adding dependent(s). Please submit a copy of the exchange visitor’s CV or resume, english language certification, financial evidence, and a copy of the Exchange Visitor’s passport along with this request.
Please Note: All Brown University paid postdoctoral appointments in the field of Biology and Medicine should submit the DS-2019 Request form to the Associate Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, Box G A-219; fax 401-863-2660.
Note: Please type or print your form to avoid errors and make sure the information is 100% accurate and matches the information on the scholar's passport. SEVIS will not allow for making corrections after the form is printed and before a visitor is activated. Permanent Residency of dependent(s) is a mandatory field in SEVIS, so please add the information in the request form.
- After the exchange visitor accepts their appointment and returns to the appropriate office the J-1 request together with the letter of appointment and other supporting document will be forwarded to OISSS.
- Once OISSS receives the J-1 request, we will review and submit it to SEVIS. Please allow 10 working days to complete Form DS-2019. Using FsaAtlas and SEVIS, it’s impossible to print a form right away. Plan ahead and leave sufficient time for processing. When Form DS-2019 is returned and printed, OISSS will notify the department for pick up. The department will need to send the DS-2019 documentation to the exchange visitor in their home country.
- The exchange visitor should NOT schedule their visa interview at the U.S. Consulate until their DS-2019 is ready. Pertinent information on the DS-2019 is needed to schedule an appointment at the U.S. Consulate for a J-1 visa.
- If the program is funded by the exchange visitor’s government, other organizations or by the individual, a letter of award or a financial statement should be attached with the request form for review.
- If the exchange visitor is not eligible for an appointment through the Faculty Personnel Office or Office of Postdoctoral Studies then please contact OISSS.
- The exchange visitor and the Department should pay close attention to the end date in Form DS-2019 for your exchange visitors. Extensions must be completed before the expiration date in DS-2019. Please don’t wait until the last minute to request an extension.
- If the visitor will not arrive in the U.S. within 30 days of their anticipated J-1 start date, you must notify OISSS immediately. OISSS will need to amend the J-1 start date in their SEVIS record accordingly. Failure to do so will result in termination of their J-1 status.
Please remind your visitor that upon arrival all Brown University international students and exchange visitors are required to register at the Office of International Student and Scholar Services within 5 business days of arrival on campus. Failure to do so will result in termination of status. They should obtain a release before they apply for a Brown ID card. Without a release from the office, the temporary Brown ID card will expire in 30 days.