The J-1 Student Intern category is available to international students currently enrolled in and pursuing a degree at a postsecondary academic institution outside the United States whose U.S. internship will fulfill the educational objectives for a current degree program at their home institution.
Individuals interested in coming to Brown University as a Student Intern must consult with the particular department they are interested in working with. Brown University departments should refer to the procedures outlined under the "Department Administrators" section.
Length of Stay
There is no minimum length of stay required. There is a 12 month maximum for J-1 Student Interns. There are no extensions beyond 12 months.
- Be currently enrolled in a degree program and in good standing at an accredited postsecondary academic institution outside the United States.
- Be accepted into a student internship program at Brown University which fulfills the educational objectives for the Student Intern’s current degree program at her/his respective home institution.
- Have verifiable English language skills sufficient to function on a day-to-day basis in the internship environment.
- Be in the United States primarily to participate in a student internship program rather than to engage in employment or provide services to an employer.
- Be in good academic standing at her/his home institution outside the United States.
- Return to the academic program outside the United States and fulfill the educational requirements for that institution after completion of the student internship program.
- Have sufficient funding to support self and any accompanying dependent family member for the entire stay in the United States, including housing and living expenses.
- Present proof of health insurance for the duration of J-1 student internship program in the United States; proof of health insurance for all dependent family members is required as well.