F-1 Student Employment

Employment Options for F-1 Students

Employment in the U.S. is highly regulated by immigration and employment law and regulations, and it can often be confusing for students in F-1 status to navigate the regulatory limitations. It is essential that when a student is considering paid or unpaid employment or volunteer positions that they be familiar with the rules and contact OISSS with any questions. Also, F-1 students MUST ensure that they have the appropriate work authorization prior to pursuing any employment activity, paid or unpaid. 

Below are links to the different types of employment authorizations: 

Type of Employment Activity
Required Employment Authorizations
Working on-campus or paid by Brown prior to completion of degree.
Stipend funding for PhD students falls under this category.
On-Campus Employment Authorization
Off-campus Internships (paid and sometimes unpaid)  Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Off-campus employment during academic program or after completion of degree requirements  Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Extension of post-completion employment authorization for students in approved STEM fields of study STEM Optional Practical Training