Maintaining Lawful Status
It is important that you maintain a lawful immigration status during your stay here at Brown. OISSS is here as the sole resource on campus dedicated to assisting students in navigating the immigration rules and regulations that allow you to enter the U.S. as a student and govern your immigration status while you pursue you academic program.
In conjunction with various academic, administrative and student life departments on campus, you MUST consult with an international student advisor in OISSS on any of the following matters*:
- Full-time enrollment requirements
- Dropping below full-time enrollment
- Taking a leave of absence
- Studying abroad/Study away at another U.S. institution
- Employment on and off campus
- Needing more time to finish your degree
- Finishing your degree before the end date on your I-20
- Changing concentrations or academic programs
- Starting a new academic program at Brown or at another U.S. school
- Changes in financial support
- Transferring to another U.S. school
- Travel outside of the U.S.
*This is not a complete list of all matters affected by immigration regulations. If you have any questions, please contact OISSS as soon as possible.