Newly Admitted International Students

Newly Admitted International Students Needing Immigration Sponsorship

Most newly admitted international students will need to obtain some type of immigration sponsorship in order to come to Brown to study. The most common immigration status is the F-1 student status. However, students receiving government funding or attending Brown as part of an exchange program most commonly hold J-1 status. In order to obtain F-1/J-1 student status and attend an academic program, newly admitted students must first be issued an initial immigration document (F-1 = I-20 & J-1 = DS-2019) from Brown University. The process for obtaining an immigration document from Brown depends on a student's educational level.

Undergraduate Students & Visiting/Special Students

If you are entering the United States on a visa as an undergraduate first-year, transfer, or visiting/special student, your initial point of contact* for I-20 and F-1 visa related matters will be the Office of College Admission, which will issue initial and transfer I-20 forms upon your submission of required documentation. Instructions on required documentation are made available on the Admitted Student Website at the end of March each year. 

Note for J-1 students: For students needing a DS-2019 you will need to contact OISSS.

*Once you have matriculated and during the entire length of your time at Brown, your point of contact for visa and immigration-related matters will be the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.

Graduate Students

If you are entering the United States or transferring from another U.S. institution into a Brown graduate program, your initial point of contact will be the Graduate School and your academic department. These departments will work with you to collect the required documentation necessary for issuance of the Form I-20/Form DS-2019.