Undergraduate Student Mail Service Information
Students are allowed to receive the following with the correct address format:
- U.S. Postal Service mail and campus mail
- Packages only from these specified common carriers, DHL, FedEx, and UPS
Correct Address Format
69 Brown St Box #
Providence RI 02912
Please Note: The zip code, 02912, belongs exclusively to Brown University. If during your academic career you move off campus, you will need to check with the U.S. Postal Service about the proper zip code for your off campus residence.
Using your mailbox address to operate an enterprise of any kind, conduct business for a student organization, or to receive mail for anyone other than the assigned mailbox holder is prohibited.
Collecting US and Campus Mail
Incoming US mail is generally sorted by noon, while campus mail, because it's received throughout the day, is a continuing process until closing.
Incoming packages are processed into two categories: recipient signature required and non-signature required. E-mail notifications are sent to students who receive signature required packages. Simply present yourself at our "University Mail Services" counter with your Brown ID to sign for and collect this type of package.
Items of critical importance (medications, etc.) should be sent using an expedited service (FedEx or UPS next day or 2 day) to guarantee prompt delivery to you. USPS Priority Mail is not the recommended delivery source for important items as they are included in the bulk delivery of USPS packages and may delay delivery to you depending on the package volume for that day.
Please note that we DO NOT accept same day direct deliveries from outside vendors such as Door Dash, Roadie, Inc., Walmart, Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. You should choose regular shipping with these vendors so that those deliveries will be shipped through the USPS, FedEx, UPS or Amazon Direct.
Packages will be available for pick up for a maximum of 30 days after which the package will be 'returned to sender' and purged from our mail system. Perishable items must be picked up within 7 days or they will be discarded due to their delicate nautre.
Hand Trucks are available for use for students to transport large package/s from the mailroom to their dorms. All hand trucks must be signed out with a valid Drivers License, credit card or other collateral and signed in when returned. Failure to immediately return a borrowed hand truck after use will result in a replacement charge against your student account.
Mail Services accepts perishable items through the USPS, FedEx and UPS (ie. flowers, food, fruit, etc.)!
Deliveries of perishable items for students who live in the residence halls only (no deliveries accepted for students living off-campus) can be shipped to Mail Services. Mail Services also accepts deliveries from Edible Arrangements as well as local florists. Due to their perishable nature, all items must be picked up within 7 days or they will be discarded. Unfortunately, no other local vendors are authorized to deliver perishable goods and cannot be accepted by Mail Services.
Mail Services provides mail forwarding for undergraduate students leaving campus.
When should you file for mail forwarding:
- Students should file for mail frowarding at the end of the semester if: you are taking a leave of absence, graduating, or leaving campus for the summer
- Students who complete their degree requirements in December can use their mailbox during second semester as long as mail is picked up at least once a week, no action is required. Otherwise December completes should file for mail forwarding when they leave campus at the end of the first semester.
- Students requiring temporary mail forwarding during the winter break will need to speak with the Mail Services' Supervisor to make arrangements.
All address information to request mail forwarding is exclusively in Banner. The instructions for submitting a mail forwarding request are as follows:
- Go to "My Personal Information" page in Banner
- Click on the Mail Forwarding tab
- Click on the term button (summer, one term leave, graduated, etc.) When choosen a term, your registered addresses should appear at the bottom of the page.
- Click on the address you want to use for mail forwarding
- Click on Submit
If you want to forward your mail to an address not listed, click on the My Addresses tab to create a new address. Be sure that the dates on a new or temporary address coincide with the term dates chosen. Once that is complete, go back to the Mail Forwarding tab and begin again.
Please Note: Mail Services will not forward your mail from your University mailbox to an off campus address while classes are in session during the academic months.
What Mail Qualifies for Forwarding
- All First Class U.S. mail, periodicals (paid subscriptions) and parcels can be forwarded within the United States
- Only First Class US and foreign mail can be forwwarded to a foreign country
- DHL, FedEx, and UPS do not qualify for mail forwarding and will be returned to sender
- All other mail material that does not qualify for either forwarding or returning to sender will be recycled
Note: Failure to arrange for mail forwarding will result in mail being returned to sender or recycled in accordance with U.S. Postal Service regulations.
Leave Information: All actively enrolled undergraduate students, living on or off campus, are required to maintain a mail assignment within University Mail Services. Students in inactive status (medical leave, personal leave, withdrawal, etc.) will lose their mail assignment and will receive a new assignment upon their return to campus and active status.
Mail Services provides a fax service available to the University community. Our Fax machine is located at our University Mail Services counter in Page-Robinson Hall.
Sending a Fax: Rates---: Domestic - $0.50 per page, Foreign $1.50 per page
Mail Services' cover page is required on all outgoing faxes. The cover page cannot be used for the body of the message.
Receiving a Fax: Fax number (401) 863-3700
Recipient's name and mailbox number are required to receive a fax. Incoming faxes are logged in and then placed into the recipient's mailbox. Mail Services will not provide a notice of arrival.