Visitor Travel Reimbursement


This policy states when a visitor to Brown University may be reimbursed for travel expenses.

This policy does not apply to those guests who are interviewing for an employment opportunity.  In those situations please refer to the Human Resource policy on Interview Expense Reimbursements. 

Policy Statement 

Visitors to Brown University may be reimbursed for their travel under the following conditions:
-        Travel expenses must comply with Brown’s travel policy.
-        Reimbursements to visitors whose travel expenses do not comply with Brown’s travel policy are subject to taxation.

Brown employees may not personally fund visitor travel and subsequently seek reimbursement. 


Visitors are individuals who travel to Brown at the invitation of a Brown employee or department for the benefit of Brown University.  Visitors may:
-        Have no anticipation of payment beyond the reimbursement of travel expenses. 
-        Be paid a fee for services, such as a guest speaker fee, honorarium, or fee for other services.


Controller’s Office:  The Controller’s Office ensures compliance with federal and state statutes as well as review and process transactions.

Cost Center Managers:   Cost Center Managers ensure compliance with this and other relevant University Policies.  The Cost Center Manager approves submitted transactions.

 Financial Coordinators:  Financial Coordinators compile relevant supporting documentation and initiate transactions.

 Visitor:  The Visitor is responsible to provide receipts to the financial coordinator


All Payments to visitors are initiated using the Supplier Invoice business process in Workday.

Payment requests for visitors who are receiving payment for services and/or who want electronic payment :  

  • If the payment for services exceeds $5000, the visitor may not be reimbursed for travel.   Brown considers the visitor a contractor and the contractor must bill the university for travel expenses.  Travel receipts are not required.  Travel expenses will be paid along with the contractor’s fee and will be included in the visitor’s Form 1099 or Form 1042S tax reporting document. If the visitor’s payment for services is $5000 or less, the visitor may be reimbursed for travel under the University’s travel policy.

  • All visitors must be a supplier in the Workday System. If the visitor is not a supplier in the Workday system, the visitor will need to complete the Brown University Supplier and Individual Payee Registration Form. (This registration process is used as the University’s substitute IRS W-9 form and must be completed by the visitor).

  • Request a supplier payment using the Supplier Invoice business process in the Workday System. The payment request includes any services payment (honorarium, guest speaker fee, or service fee) and the travel expense reimbursement.

  • If the supplier payment for service is $5,000 or less, request payment using a Supplier Invoice, and attach receipts. Select the Visitor Travel spend category for the portion of the payment related to travel. 

  • If the supplier payment for service is more than $5,000, follow the procedures for PSA's over $5,000 and add the travel payment to the same spend category.  Do not attach travel receipts. Brown will pay the supplier invoice and include the payment for services and the travel payment on the Form 1099 that is sent to the supplier at the end of the calendar year. 

  • If the visitor is paid for services and is a foreign national, refer to the policy on Payments to Foreign Visitors/Nonresident Aliens for additional required documentation. 

  • Accounts Payable will process the payment.  Payment will be processed as requested by the visitor on the Supplier Registration Form (either ACH or check).  International visitors may also request a wire transfer of funds. 

Payment requests for visitors who are not receiving payment for services (travel reimbursement only) and who are not requesting electronic payments (payment will be made by check):  

  • The visitor must be a supplier in the Workday System. If the visitor is not a supplier in the Workday system, either the visitor or the department Financial Coordinator will need to complete the Visitor Travel Reimbursement Registration form.

  • Request payment using the Supplier Invoice business process in the Workday System.  Receipts for all visitor travel expenses, regardless of the amount spent, must be attached the reimbursement request.

  • Accounts Payable will process a check for payment.   International visitors may request a wire transfer of funds and a wire transfer request form must be attached to the Supplier Invoice.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I processed the payment for services for a visitor receiving payment without travel reimbursement and now have a travel reimbursement form to submit? 
You can submit another request for payment for the travel reimbursement.

Can the travel reimbursement form be processed before the supplier payment for services is processed?
The supplier payment and the travel reimbursement should be submitted together to ensure reimbursement is made after services have been provided.

Policy Owner
Approved by 
Assistant Vice President and University Controller

Raquel Almeida
Senior Accounts Payable Specialist

John Haden
Accounts Payable Manager

Doreen Burgers
Director of University Disbursements

Revision Date:  Fri, 2016-07-01 10:48