The Interview Expense Reimbursement policy assists departments and/or staff interview candidates with the expenses associated with traveling to interview at Brown.
This policy provides for the reimbursement of expenses for candidates traveling at least 100 miles one way, to interview for full time, exempt and non-exempt staff positions, which have been advertised.
The Benefits Office will reimburse departments for interview expenses for up to five candidates per hire, with a $1,500 maximum total reimbursement. All interview expense reimbursements are subject to the provisions of the University's policies on travel and entertainment, administered by the Controller's Office.
Departments are eligible to have the following expenses reimbursed:
- Expenses related to one of an interviewing candidate's trips to the interview location (e.g., reasonable travel fare or mileage, parking, tolls, etc.);
- Cost of the candidate's lodging near the interview location; and
- Cost of meals, during which interviews are conducted, for the candidate plus one Brown employee. Meals for additional Brown employees in attendance will not be reimbursed.
The following expenses are among those not eligible for reimbursement:
- Cost of travel or lodging for a candidate's companion;
- Cost of meals at which no interviewing takes place;
- Extraneous lodging expenses such as hotel phone charges, room/bar service, etc.; and
- Costs incurred by third parties (e.g., placement firms) in interviewing candidates.
Interview Candidate: Interview candidates must supply original receipts to the department in order to be reimbursed for travel expenses.
Sponsoring Department: It is the department's responsibility to complete the Brown University Individual Payee Registration Form, the Interview Expense Reimbursement Report and/or Business Meals and Hospitality Expenses Form before submitting it to the Benefits Office for reimbursement. The department should review the Payments to Foreign Nationals Policy if interviewing a foreign visitor.
Administration and Finance Specialist: Process reimbursement in Workday upon review and approval of submitted expenses.
Accounts Payable: Issues a check to be mailed to interview candidate's home address.
After expenses are incurred, the candidate must submit original receipts for eligible expenses to the department. The department must complete the Brown University Individual Payee Registration Form. The department must also submit the Interview Expense Reimbursement Report to the Benefits Office for review. All original receipts must be taped to a sheet of paper. The Administration and Finance Specialist will review expenses to ensure they are eligible and will then process reimbursement in Workday. Accounts Payable will issue a check to be mailed to the interview candidate's home address.
Employees who have conducted an interview during a meal must also submit original receipts to the department. The department is then responsible for completing the Business Meals and Hospitality Expenses Form to be submitted to the Benefits Office. All original receipts must be taped to a sheet of paper. The Administration and Finance Specialist will review expenses to ensure they are eligible and will then complete an expense report for the employee in Workday.