This policy provides paid time off for eligible employees to care for a newly born infant or adopted child.
Brown University provides eligible employees up to 6 weeks of paid time off to care for a newly born infant or adopted child. Staff who currently work at least 975 hours per year and who have worked at least 975 hours per year for the previous one continuous year are eligible to take up to six weeks of parental leave at full pay. Seasonal/intermittent positions are excluded from coverage under this policy.
This benefit is available to biological and adoptive parents and is available as of the date of birth of the child or date of placement for adoption. The benefit can be taken any time within the 12 week period after the date of birth or placement for adoption, but the weeks must be taken consecutively. In the event that both parents work at Brown and meet the eligibility requirements, both are eligible for the benefit.
Employee: Request leave of absence and parental leave Time Off in Workday
Department: Supervisor approves the leave and time off requests.
Benefits Office: Confirm parental leave eligibility and approve the leave.
Parental Leave Benefit. The Parental Leave Benefit begins on the date of the birth of the child or date of placement for adoption of a child age 16 years or younger. Key elements of the procedures follow:
- Employee should request a leave of absence in Workday and choose "FMLA" as the leave type.
- Once the leave is approved in Workday, eligible employees will have a new Time Off option called "Parental Leave."
- The Parental Leave Time Off should be entered into Workday the same way employees request sick or vacation days.
- For a birth, a Physician's Statement must be received any time before or at least within 15 calendar days after the leave is processed.
- For an adoption, proof of the placement for adoption must be received any time before or at least within 15 days after the leave is processed.