Wage Attachments


This policy states the University’s responsibility for wage attachments such as garnishments and tax levies and child support.

Policy Statement 

The University is required by law to execute, often without the employee’s consent, all legal wage attachments such as tax levies, garnishments, bills of child support or other court ordered wage attachments.

Court ordered wage attachments and federal and state levies will be deducted based on the information provided by the court or agency.  Deductions will begin in the payroll cycle immediately following receipt of the attachment or levy or as otherwise specified in the attachment.

Although the court or regulatory agency is responsible for notifying the individual of the wage attachment the Payroll Office will also notify an individual about wage attachments after they are processed.

Wage attachments will end when Payroll receives official notification from the court or agency to end the attachment.


Wage Attachment: Wage attachment, also called wage garnishment, is the process of deducting money from an employee's pay as the result of a court order or action by an authorized agency. Common examples of debt that result in attachments include: child support, taxes, creditor garnishments, and bankruptcy orders.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a garnishment?
A legal order received by the Payroll Office requiring withholding from an employee’s pay check to satisfy a debt (including child support).

What types of garnishments are there and what are they for?
There are three basic types of earnings garnishments:

  • Child Support Orders
  • Tax Levies (unpaid Federal or State income taxes)
  • Creditor Garnishments (unpaid obligations to creditors)

How much will be deducted from my pay?
Most court orders specify a dollar amount to be deducted by the employer from your pay and remitted to the associated party.  If you have any questions regarding the amount currently withheld from your pay, please contact either the Payroll Manager or the Payroll Supervisor at Specialist[email protected].

Can these amounts be modified or stopped?
Brown University will only withhold the amounts that are court ordered and can only change the amounts withheld if ordered by the courts to do so.

Employees should seek legal counsel to request a change in the amount from the courts.

I just received my paycheck and I have a deduction for a garnishment, levy, or court order. I do not know anything about this, what should I do?
You should have received notice well in advance of the start of the mandatory withholding. You may contact the Payroll Manager or Payroll Supervisor at [email protected] for further garnishment information, including the name of the attorney to contact.

Policy Owner
Approved by 
University Controller

Rafael Dones
Director of Tax and Payroll Services

Tracy Jordan-Cardillo
Payroll Manager
[email protected]

Revision Date:  Mon, 2019-05-06 08:32