Brown Guardian is a mobile app which enhances your personal safety on campus. It can be downloaded as Rave Guardian by Rave Mobile Safety from Google Play or iTunes or by navigating to http://getrave.com/forwardToGuardianAppStore.do from your phone’s browser.
Short videos on how to install the app and use key features are available at here.
Brown Guardian has three great features:
- Make Emergency Calls - Place a call and send location and personal profile information to Brown’s Department of Public Safety (DPS) when you need help in an emergency.
- Send Emergency Tips to DPS - Send text tips - including photos-if you are in a situation that requires immediate assistance but circumstances do not allow you to make a call.
- Set a Safety Timer and Status - set a timer before you set out for your destination. If you don't deactivate the timer in the specified number of minutes, DPS will be notified and will call your phone to verify your safety.
A few things to keep in mind:
- GPS location accuracy can vary based on several factors. If possible, you should provide detailed location information via text or voice. This will enable public safety personnel to reach you more quickly.
- To maximize the full benefit of this service, your user profile should contain a current photo and accurate self-description. The more information you provide in your profile, the easier it will be for DPS to locate you if necessary. Any information in your personal profile will only be viewable by DPS if you make an emergency call, send an emergency tip or if your safety timer session expires without being deactivated. Personal profile information will treated as confidential information.
- When using the safety timer, it is strongly recommended that you provide detailed information about where you are headed under ‘Status’. You can update this status as you travel with new information. This information will greatly facilitate any necessary response actions coordinated by DPS. If your timer expires, DPS will call you to verify your safety.
- If you are in duress upon receiving a call back from DPS personnel, simply provide a pin number one number above your actual code when prompted to recite your PIN.