The Brown University Department of Public Safety would like to inform (or remind) the student community of the dangers of spiked drinks. There has been a local and national rise in drink spiking incidents on college campuses. If you are attending a function where alcohol is being served, we encourage you to exercise the following safety tips:


There are several things you can do whenever you go to a party, club, bar, or on a date to reduce the risk that you will be a victim of having your drink spiked.  

 · Don’t accept a mixed drink or an opened container from anyone. If someone offers you a drink, watch it being made. If you are unsure about any of the ingredients, don't drink it.

 ·  Avoid sharing or trading drinks with anyone.

 · Don’t drink from a punch bowl or from a container being passed around.

 · Be in control of your drink. If there has been any opportunity for someone to spike your drink, dump it. Do not leave your drink sitting out for someone else to find.

 · Don’t drink anything that looks or tastes unusual or suspicious. Be on the alert for excess saltiness or bitterness, unexplained residue, or odd colors or textures.


 · If you think your drink has been spiked (common symptoms include; dizziness, confusion, hallucinations, tiredness, blurred vision, paranoia) go to a safe place or tell somebody you trust that you need help. Contact Public Safety for assistance at401-863-4111.

 Other Common Symptoms:

 · You feel drunker than you should given the amount of alcohol you’ve consumed.

· You wake up feeling fuzzy and you can’t remember all or part of last night.

· You remember having a drink, but you can’t remember what happened after you finished it.

Alcohol is more commonly used by perpetrators to facilitate sexual assault than other drugs, making it the most common rape drug. Most "date rape drugs" leave the body within 24 to 72 hours, so it is important to get a drug test as soon as possible after the assault has occurred. If you are not able to get tested within this time frame, you may still file a sexual assault report with Brown Public Safety.  The decision to pursue criminal charges does not have to made at that time; it is an option. There may be other evidence that indicates you were sexually assaulted, regardless of whether you can prove you were drugged at the time.

Related links:
Getting Help at Brown
Understanding DPS Response to Sexual Assault
Sexual Assault and Interpsonal Violence