Strategic Purchasing, Contracts and Insurance (SPCI) is responsible for reviewing and approving contracts for the purchase of goods and services with the exception that Contracts that are identified as IT related* contracts are reviewed and approved by CIS.
The Brown Contract Management System (BCM) has been created to manage this process. It is also used to create contracts that make use of templates that have been developed by the Office of the General Counsel such as Professional Services Agreements and Guest Speaker Agreements.
In order for contract requests to be submitted through BCM, the individual submitted must have been provided with access to the system. Access to the system must be requested by submitting a Help Ticket. Training completed in Workday Learning is required prior to access being granted.
The information entered by the person with the “contract requester” role will allow the system to route the contract to either SPCI or CIS. The “contract managers” within those departments will be able to manage the contract review within the system including sending messages back to the department and routing for additional University reviews from other areas when needed.
Several University templates have been formatted in the system. When using a template, the information provided by the contract requester will populate the standard template.
Once the contract review is complete and the contract is ready to be sent for signature, the contract manager in SPCI or CIS will send it through DocuSign to obtain the required signatures.
Contracts completed in the system will be sent to Workday where purchase orders and supplier invoices will be associated with the appropriate contract numbers.
Training and job aids are available through Workday Learning.
Check the Delegations of Signature Authority schedule posted on the OGC website to determine who can sign contracts. The ‘contract requester’ is responsible for indicating on the request form who should sign the contract.
Tips for contracting for goods and services:
- Check the Strategic Supplier webpage - a University wide contract may already exist
- Be familiar with the University's competitive bid process requirements
- Support the University's initiatives such as utilizing local and diversity suppliers, and making selections that support sustainability
- Be familiar with the University's signature authority policy
- Plan for sufficient time for contract reviews to be conducted
- Be sure to submit all required information for contract review requests
- Suppliers must be registered in Workday prior to submitting the contract request
For more information about the University’s contracting process please visit the Workday Learning link below and enroll in the Brown Contracts Management Basics training module.
*CIS reviews all IT contracts (in addition to data security assessments.) IT Contracts include:
- Software products (e.g., database systems, educational software, computer programs), including click-through agreements
- Cloud services and IT professional services
- Network and wireless devices
- Cell phones
- Personal computers, workstations mainframes, minicomputers