Strategic Purchasing, Contracts and Insurance (SPCI) has reviewing and approving authority of contracts for purchases of goods and services. Contract review requests are initiated through the completed contract review request form and by attaching all supporting documentation.
When the University accepts an obligation to another party, a written document records the terms of the agreement and can prevent misunderstandings. These written contracts clarify each party's obligations and need to include provisions that protect the University.
Any contract (i.e. quotes with terms and conditions) for goods and services must be approved by SPCI. The SPCI Department handles more than reviewing and processing purchase orders. SPCI also has responsibility for reviewing and approving contracts for the purchase or sale of goods and services (except for those handled by OGC, CIS, or OSP).
- SPCI (contracts for goods and services at any amount, unless it belongs under the purview of the other reviewing authorities)
- OGC (contract templates and contracts over $100k, CIS Level 3 off-premisis contracts, unless it belongs under the purview of the other reviewing authorities)
- CIS (IT related contracts at any amount including computer hardware, software and cloud, excluding level 3 off-premisis contracts, unless it belongs under the purview of the other reviewing authorities)
- OVPR/OSP( NDA’s and grant funded contracts)
Tips for contracting for goods and services:
- Check the Preferred Supplier webpage - a University wide contract may already exist
- Be familiar with the University's competitive bid process requirements
- Support the University's initiatives such as utilizing local and diversity suppliers, and making selections that support sustainability
- Be familiar with the University's signature authority policy
- Plan for sufficient time for contract reviews to be conducted
- Be sure to submit all required information for contract review requests